Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2007 Pacifica Touring - mpg question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Default 2007 Pacifica Touring - mpg question?

Hi Everyone-

After admiring the Pacifica from day one I finally talked my husband into buying one. We purchased a 2007 Touring edition with 2300 miles on it. (It was a demo)

The sticker said the mpg should be between 16/24. While driving the car it says average mpg is 20.1 (driving in Houston on hwy 59 during traffic - approx 70 miles round trip daily - cruise control set at 65) However the digital readout says I only get 365 miles per tank with a 23 gallon tank. I figure I should get over 400 miles per tank - am I doing this wrong or does it seem like my mpg sucks?

I traded a 2004 Ford Expedition for this because it is suppsed to get better mileage. At this rate I am only getting about 2 miles more per gallon. (unless I am figuring it wrong, which I hope is the problem)

Thanks to everyone for their input...
Camille

Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Default RE: 2007 Pacifica Touring - mpg question?

The engine is breaking in. It can take up to about 10,000miles to fully break in. Using just the EVIC might not be totally accurate. Do an actual calculatation. You might see the number increase if you reset the EVIC. You can also recheck the "miles to empty" a couple of times in one highway trip. I've done this. Checked the miles to empty at the start of a highway trip,then recheck about 20 miles later and notice the miles to empty has increased. The computer has recalculated. Remember the EVIC readings are just ESTIMATES.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Before each trip make sure you reset EVIC miles per gallon setting especially if you are driving on the highway. Otherwise, the EVIC will average every mile back to the last time that you reset it. I believe you will also see a change in the miles to empty as well with the reset.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

The "distance to empty" calculation isn't counting the whole tank, and it might be hedging as well, to provide a conservative estimate.

To really know your fuel economy, you need to:
--reset your trip odometer when you fill up
--the next time you fill up, record the reading on the trip odometer, then divide this figure by the number of gallons needed to refill the tank

When you fill up you're probably not putting the entire 23 gallons in. I've had fuel gauges that read empty when there were still five gallons in the tank.

My site runs a real-world fuel economy survey. Only one result for a 2007 Pacifica has been submitted, but there are more for earlier years.

Chrysler Pacifica fuel economy

Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM

The read out is set for the whole tank.being used from the last time the fuel milage was reset. We often reset it just to see what we are getting at different places. On our winding road we get 19 and on the open road it says 26 to even 28. BUT these are sample mpg based on the time you reset it. In reality we get all the time at least 22 mpg in all kinds of driving with lots of stop and go. The open road trip gets 25 to sometines as high as 28 mpg. This is actuallfilled up and divide the miles by the gallons used. We now have 11,400 miles and it has seemed to be steady now. The PCM and the ECm take time to get set and everything else broke in. Keeping the right air pressure in the tires, and oil changes at 3,000 miles helps get the most of the PAC.
The PAC is a really well built vehicle and it's the largest in length and width vehicle Chrysler makes at this time. Consider it weighs in at 4500 + lbs that is one big SUV that gets great mpg. There is no compairson with an escape or explorer to the PAC. Be glad you have the LifeTime Powertrain and you would be wise to get a Lifetime Chrysler Service Contract as well.

farout

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Sounds like you don't have to contend with many traffic lights or traffic. The key to good fuel economy in a heavy vehicle is not stopping. If they can cruise in a very tall high gear, you'll see good numbers. Accelerating from a stop is what will make those numbers plummet.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Actually we do have stop lights and stop and go traffic. Around Lake of The Ozarks we seldom go far with out someone pulling in front of you, or trucks or vehicles towing boats. However I leave enough distance that I don't have to slam on the binders, or keep speeding up to keep up with traffic. Frankly we are amazed at the good fel mileage we get, the 4. L engine and 6 speed automatic area well balanced combination. I am sure if I floored it and had a heavy foot I could see 17 mpg pretty easy. But with oil at $105. a barrel there is no way I am going to burn up gas now.

farout

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Good Day ! Some usefull info .I 've learned recently as far as mpg. 1. Always fill up either very early during the day or as late as possible at night . The reason being : that as the day heats up gas expands in your car as well as in the company tanks in the ground . They're buried (tanks) in the ground you say ! Maybe so but there's working space all around them , with convienient tubes for access and heat to creep or rush in pending where u live . 2. If u can help it ,don't let your tank get below 50% ,for the reason that the more space in your tank for the evaporation process to occur. Ever notice a sealed bottle of alcohol that's been on a shelf loose volume of that alcohol, same principal. The more space the faster the evap. 3 . Never fill up if u see a tanker filling the tanks ! That dumping of the fuel stirs up the crap at the bottom of the barrel, in a manner of speaking . Yes there are filters on the system "maybe "even working ,MAYBE ! Why take the chance ,unless ur desparate ! Wait till the next day or drive on .
4: When filling , never fill on high speed , yes , a p-i-t-a ! The reason the faster u pump the more air bubbles that get in the system ,resulting the volume inflated . All these items can add up to thousandss ,pending your driving situation . So ,just drop a notch or two when filling and enjoy cleaning your windows with a smile on your face for what you know of your savings and added gas mileage. 5: This one is for the bold individuals . Well that drop loop just before the nozzle , HAS GAS IN IT ! Why u leaving it there ? If u just lift the hose above your tank , with the lever still squeezed , GAS COMES OUT INTO YOUR TANK ! AT the end of the year 3/4oz x 2/3 times a week x 52 weeks adds up to how many miles ? What would you do for an extra 1k miles , THAT U ALREADY FOR ANYWAY ! Don't know if that helped anyone , has me ! So do what you will , but be safe and GOD bless ! JUST A VIEW FROM THIS SIDE OF THE SADDLE ! CALVARY KID.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: farout
Be glad you have the LifeTime Powertrain and you would be wise to get a Lifetime Chrysler Service Contract as well.

farout
I agree.
You can get the Lifetime warranty on 2006 & newer
Do it online & don't pay tax @
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/
They're a chrysler dealer in Mass.
I called them, you can get it with a deductable or pay more for no deductable but whats good is you can get the Added Care or the Maximum care LIFETIME. That will cover the powertrain & all other things the added & Maximum care covers for the life of the car EVERYTHING. I got the added care plus with $100 deductable lifetime for $2040 ($2230 -$190 special promotional code) And as long as your not in the state that dealer is in you pay no tax. I bought my Pac last May so I didn't get the lifetime warranty for free but if you DO have it you can get the plan to cover the rest of the items for life at a lower cost than I did. Go online, go through the process (give them your email & tell them your car details) then go through the checkout process. When you get to the part about a promotional code, go to your email and you should have an email from them with a code #. They beat my local dealer that I bought my Pac from by about $800 for a 100% Chrysler factory warranty.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Four weeks ago, I purchased a 2007 Pacifica Limited AWD with 12,000 miles. Since then, I have driven it solely in city driving... no highway miles. I am only getting 11.1 miles per gallon. It sounds great, runs fine, but the mileage seems to be on the pitiful side to me. Is anyone else having this experience?

Quick Reply: 2007 Pacifica Touring - mpg question?