Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Default 2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs

I have a 2008 Chrysler Pacifica Touring Edition. The car has about 90K miles and has been great. Just recently it started either shutting off all different speeds (couple times a day) or loosing RPMs but not shutting off. I have had it at the dealer a couple of times and other mechanics and no one has a
clue what it is? THere are no codes at all and they have cleaned the throttle body and checked it from top to bottom.

Any ideas? The dealer guys have had it happen to them too.

Thanks, AL

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

was the dealer able to duplicate the issue when they had it?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Yes, they were able to duplicate but that is when they cleaned the throttle body. We have had it back two times since then and they have had it do the same thing but no idea what it is.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Take it to a different dealer they ones there must be under trained

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM

I have taken it to both dealer in my area both Augusta and Thomson, GA. Should I head over to Atlanta?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

U can its your call

Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM

I really appreciate the response but let me lay out what is happening in more details. The dramatic loss of RPMs and/or stalling only happens when I have let off the gas completely when I am coasting or braking. It never happens when I am accelerating even if it is slightly. One time several months ago the EGR valve code came up but not since. Wasn't this the same sort of problem the 2004 and 2005 models had?

Thanks, AL

Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Take a look at this TSB & double check that your PCM has the latest software updates.

TSB #18-003-09 REV. C

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

SUBJECT:
Flash: Driveability Improvements Or MIL Illumination Diagnostic Trouble Code P0452 -
Evap Pressure Switch Stuck Closed

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.

Do not replace the Electronic Throttle Body (ETC unit # 04861691A$) for a P050D

(cold start rough idle) fault code, as it will not repair the condition.

If the vehicle has demonstrated a stumble or surge and there are no fault codes set, you need to verify the vehicle has the latest software version in the PCM. For 2.4L JS/JC vehicles reference Service Bulletin 21-015-08 Rev B, and for 2.7L/3.5L JS/JC vehicles refer to SB 18-003-09.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Thanks ChryslerCares. I will ask the dealer to check this out.

Al

Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Default Car Stalls/Dies Whle Driving

Hi Masteve69 & ChyslerCares,

Can you please tell me what the dealer said when you took to them and suggested the things ChryslerCares said?Did this fix the problem?

I have a 2008 Chrysler Pacifica Touring and my car has also been stalling while driving. It has happened on 5 separate occasions. There is no warning and it is not the same scenario each time that it occurs (sometimes stopping, sometimes accelerating). This past weekend I almost caused me to rear end cars at a traffic light while I was approaching an intersection. The engine seems to just go dead, the steering wheel locks and the brakes do now work. Eventually the car coast to a stop.

It is my understanding that this same issue was recalled for the 2005-2006 Chryslers. There is not a recall yet for this in the 2008s. This is a very serious situation and I do not want anyone to get hurt. I have seen on several other websites where others with 2008 edition have had the same problem. I called Chrysler today and created a case for me. What else can I do to get this recalled for the 2008s?

I am supposed to take my car back to the dealership tomorrow to get this fixed. They said that the issue is due to an ETR Exhaust Gasket, but everything I have read on this issue has mentioned that it is due to oil sludge or says that the fuel pump needs to be replaced and the PCM reprogrammed. Does anyone have any suggestions to offer?

Quick Reply: 2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs