Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Default My 2008 Pacifica stalls too

Stalls while driving but seems to only happen in cold weather. Usually starts right up after stalling but on one occasion, it wouldn't restart immediately. But by time AAA got to me, it started right up and I was able to drive to dealer. Dealer and local shop have both said there were no codes to explain what happened and they didn't know what to do to repair. Has anyone found a solution? Did the PCM programming fix it? Thanks

Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Default Bob37l

I bought a 2007 Pacifica in Dec 2014. 4.0 engine, Touring, AWD.
Ran fine for 14 months, then started stalling at any speed. If I put it in neutral while it is still coasting, I can sometimes re-start it. Sometimes I have to let it stop coasting and let it sit for a few minutes, then I can usually restart it.
When it stalls, the tach goes to zero immediately. Sometimes I pump the gas pedal while it is still coasting and it restarts.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum by people who have the same problem since 2009.

Has anyone actually found something that has actually fixed this problem???

I replaced the PCM, but the problem is the same.

HELP

Old 10-08-2016, 08:12 AM

I have the same problem with my 2008 Pacifica Touring. Mechanics have checked it using the computer diagnostic but nothing shows where the problem is emanating from. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how the repair the intermittent stalling. As we all know, stopping unexpectedly while driving in traffic is quite dangerous.
Anyone aware of a recall for this problem?

Old 10-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Default Fix for 2007/2008 pacifica stalling

After months of fighting this problem, I finally fixed it.
I took it to a trusted repair shop and while it was idling they moved a particular cable back and forth, and every time they moved the cable the engine would stall. They unwrapped the insulation from the cable and found wires where the individual wire insulation had worn through, and the wires were shorting together. They only charged me 85.00 and it hasn't failed since.

They fixed the wires and didn't replace the whole cable which would have been a major (expensive) project.

This cable is located on top of the transmission, between the battery and the engine, just behind The tube where the transmission dip stick would go. In typical Chrysler thinking, nobody but Chrysler service people knows how to check the trans fluid, so they do not put an actual dip stick in it, instead, they put in a plug that has "For dealer use only" printed on it.

So, while your engine is idling, try moving that cable and see if it stalls.

I hope this helps. You can pay me later.

Good luck

Bob37l

Old 10-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Default Thank you Bob 371!

I will
Take the car to a mechanic and share your information. I hope it works for me. I'll post the outcome .

Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Default Tuneup

Originally Posted by Bob37l
After months of fighting this problem, I finally fixed it.
I took it to a trusted repair shop and while it was idling they moved a particular cable back and forth, and every time they moved the cable the engine would stall. They unwrapped the insulation from the cable and found wires where the individual wire insulation had worn through, and the wires were shorting together. They only charged me 85.00 and it hasn't failed since.

They fixed the wires and didn't replace the whole cable which would have been a major (expensive) project.

This cable is located on top of the transmission, between the battery and the engine, just behind The tube where the transmission dip stick would go. In typical Chrysler thinking, nobody but Chrysler service people knows how to check the trans fluid, so they do not put an actual dip stick in it, instead, they put in a plug that has "For dealer use only" printed on it.

So, while your engine is idling, try moving that cable and see if it stalls.

I hope this helps. You can pay me later.

Good luck

Bob37l
If I get a tuneup. Do you think that will work ?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 AM
Default Work

[QUOTE=Anne727;97537]I will
Take the car to a mechanic and share your information. I hope it works for me. I'll post the outcome .[/QUO
Did it work

Old 09-01-2017, 06:17 AM

Mine did the same thing i changed the egr valve nomore problems

Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM

We had a 2007 pacifica. Finally sold it. We loved that car. Though it had 199,000 miles on it, it ran like a dream....until it stalls. Took it to several dealerships, took it to several independent garages. Did the typical inspection. Wiggled and inspected wires. No trouble codes. Cleaned or replaced the throttle body. Still would stall here and there. No pattern to give you the heads up when it would stall. It would stall at any speed. Even though the EGR was clean and no codes, replacing the EGR valve seemed to give you a few months with no stalling. Finally we said no more and reluctantly sold the Pacifica.
Good luck to anyone solving the problem that haunts some of these pacificas.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Default Pacifica stalling

Thank you Cottagefog for sharing you Pacifica experience. I, too, love the car as it looks good, rides well, has a very comfortable interior (6 separate seats + good cargo space). The great mystery, however, seems to be the cause of the intermittent stalling. I recently read that the "reincarnation" of the old Pacifica (new minivan version) also will stall unexpectedly and there is a currentl recall for a fix of the fuel pump.
Based in the experience of another person in this forum, I took the car to the service department of a Chrysler dealership in the Netherlands to look at the wires and EGR valve. ( I live in Belgium and the Chrysler dealership in the Netherlands is a much more pleasant experience than the 2 Chrysler dealerships in Brussels). The diagnosis was : MAYBE????? New battery needed and new front and rear engine mounts. Mechanic told me the engine mounts were so old that perhaps the lack of engine support was stressing the associated wires thus causing stalling, So I'll get a new battery and the engine mounts replaced.

Any thoughts? Comments? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2008 Chrysler Pacifica keeps stalling or looses RPMs