Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Timing Belt Tip

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Default 2006 Timing Belt Tip

I just replaced timing belt, pump and tension pulley. When removing alternator leave out the screw behind it, this will make it much easier the next time you have to remove the cover.

After getting the car on a jack stand I put my floor jack under the motor to hold it. I then removed the motor mount and fuel line. I was able to raise the motor, making it easier to access the bolts from the top.

When putting on the new belt the cam gears moved and I just repositioned them. Also when applying tension to the new belt the rear cam pulley wanted to move off its mark. I had to rotate the rear cam pulley ahead one tooth, so when applying tension on the belt the timing marks would line up.

I was able to rent the harmonic balancer pulley puller from O'Reilly and Auto Zone.

Something that might come in handy is a ObdII scanner for your cell phone, I purchased this from Amazon for $20. This unit works great, I used it on the Pacific and my F350 Diesel. When testing my motor after install my check engine light came on, I checked the codes fixed the problem and reset them with my phone. I didn't check the marks closely and my timing was off a tad bit.