Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

for the benifite of all pac 04 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Default for the benifite of all pac 04 owners

I have an actual problem and decided to share it with you guys....

Here's how it all started..My pac after a few month of use,it was wetting the drivers side of the floor...So one day i decided to check it out...And guess what i found? that the water was coming down the fire wall,but it started at the part where the wipers motor is at.....Yes there,where you see that bead of sylicon,someone had tried to fix it
allready...But didn't do it right and didn't do it from the start of the bead to the end of it;plus they used some kind of tar and didn't follow the groove and curves and you know what happens when you do that...They didn't do nothing right, all they left was a mess of tar where the water acumalates, and that is bad,criates rust and every drop of water sips thru with time...And I'am pretty sure it was under warranty when they tried to fix it..I only got my pac with 40, thousand plus miles on it and one owner...

So what I did was fix it...But while I was trying to fix it the weather was like not so good and I had allready started to scrape all the that tar (this tar looked like a piece of rubber and it came out easy,all I saw under it was rust starting up) and bead of sylicon..But it took me long and it started to rain and couldn't fix in time so i left it for next day oh boy what a mistake.....The rug looked like a pool worse than before...So I did a little dye of color to find out where the was it exactly coming from...Found it and fixed it....

Now I have an electrical problem and now I have to pay for my mistake for which I litiruly didn't have any other choice...

The CHRYSLER TECH in this forum told me what it could be,ign. switch,BCM, or IPM...

So my friends if you value your pac,and see a sign of water on your drivers side check this out first....It's a defect of manufacturing...

Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

U know if U provide all the info b4 u ask a question such as yours what I tell u can be narrowed down instead of guessing like I did. oh BTW here is the TSB for your fix for teh water leak

SUBJECT:
Water In Passenger Compartment
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves resealing the area at the base of the A-pillar just below the
windshield.
MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe the carpeting is wet under the driver's or passenger's
feet.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the complaint is wetness on the driver's side or passenger's side front floor of the
vehicle, perform the repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
AR (1) 04318026 Sealer, Repair
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove the appropriate cowl side trim panel. Refer to the service information
available in TechCONNECT. Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/Cowl Trim - Removal
2. Pull back and support the carpet to allow the carpet pad to dry out as necessary.
Inspect the area under the carpet for the source of the water. If the water appears to
be coming from the A-pillar area, proceed to Step #3. If the water does not appear to
be coming from the A-pillar area, further diagnosis is necessary. This bulletin does not
apply. Refer to TechCONNECT for other service bulletin information.
3. If the carpet is wet on only one side of the vehicle, proceed to Step #4. If the carpet is
wet on both sides of the vehicle, repeat Step #1 and Step #2 on the other side of the
vehicle. When complete, proceed to Step #4.
4. Remove the hood hinge from the suspect side of the vehicle. Refer to the service
information available in TechCONNECT. Refer to 23 - Body/Hood/Hinge - Removal.
5. Inspect the area at the base of the A-pillar below the windshield, on the suspect side,
and locate the melt form patch (Fig. 1).
NUMBER: 23-035-04
GROUP: Body
DATE: September 15, 2004
Fig. 1 SUSPECT AREA AT BASE OF A-PILLAR
1 - WINDSHIELD
2 - INSPECT SEALER AROUND PERIMETER OF PATCH
3 - MELT FORM PATCH
4 - LEFT FRONT FENDER
6. Inspect the entire area of the melt form patch for cracks and missing sealer around the
perimeter of the patch. If the melt form patch is cracked or damaged, repair it with
paintable sealer, p/n 04318026 (Fig. 1).
23-035-04 -2-
Fig. 2 INSPECT UNDER MELT FORM PATCH
1 - MELT FORM PATCH
2 - LEFT FRONT FENDER
3 - INSPECT IN THIS AREA
7. Using paintable sealer, fill any area that is missing sealer around the perimeter of the
melt form patch. Lift the corner of the melt form patch and inspect for missing sealer
(Fig. 2).
8. To ensure the area is sealed properly, place a hose with a moderate flow of water at
the A-pillar base for approximately 60 seconds.
9. Inspect the base of the A-pillar, under the instrument panel, for signs of water entry.
-3- 23-035-04
Fig. 3 LEFT COWL SIDE TRIM PANEL AREA
1 - COWL SIDE TRIM PANEL
2 - PARKING BRAKE PEDAL ASSY.
3 - PARKING BRAKE GEAR
4 - A-PILLAR UNDER THE INSTRUMENT PANEL
10. If water entry is not present, proceed to Step #11. If water entry is present, re-apply a
second layer of repair sealer to the area around the melt form patch. Proceed to Step
#8.
11. Install the suspect side hood hinge.
12. If the carpet is wet on both sides of the vehicle, repeat Step #4 through Step #11 on
the opposite side of the vehicle. When complete, proceed to Step #13.
13. Install the cowl grille.
14. When the carpet padding is dry, lower the carpet back into place.
15. Install the cowl side trim panel

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks,didn't know they had one...Doesn't mean that I didn't try searching around...I guess I didn't do a great job at that..

Will they fix the problem I have with the electronics?...The problems I have now is because of this water leak...

Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

what I posted will be for the water leak and now yes U haft to see what got wet. That also was one little detail left out when U had asked me 3 separate times.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM

You see here is what goes on, I'm assuming you guys would know;And would come to a conclusion and ask if there's any water coming down or is my carpet wet on the drivers side and therefor say the most likely is your BCM got wet or your ignition switch got wet and you got the electrical problem....so sorry for leaving that out...I guess I'm the first one that this happens to...The same problem I mean...

So what can i do now take it to them (Chrysler) so they can fix it?

thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

u cant assume anything my crystal ball is broke. No one on here can look into your car but yourself right? How would anyone know that there was water present when this happened especially me when u asked what could be the prob how u worded it?
U can take it to who ever u want but u need to give them all the details to they can look in the right area and not waste there time and yours. I dont mean to bust your ***** about this but I want any one that will read this to understand one thing. Most techs are paid on commission so if they are spending alot of time on something they want to be paid for it right would u not? I watched a Tv show humm mystery diagnosis on discovery health. This little boy was sick as a dog kept getting worse every time they did something in the hospital. Come to find out the mom was feeding him stuff that was making him sick. The whole point U got people trying to figure out whats going on and u leave out one big detail and that's the smoking gun ya know?
I could have told U right what u would need to do about the issue u had asked me about IF u has said oh BTW the floor is soaked from rain and it happened after this.
U will more then likely have a few things that has water in it from connectors to BCM or rusted grounds.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM

I think you went out too far out the window and in to the ball park and missed my point, when you brought in the crystal ball in to play..But I had a feeling that was coming and here what say.....
You see,you used the crystal ball at your first try because you guessed what could be wrong..You came up with "BCM, IPM and ignition switch" as thing that it could be...On both ocaitions you narrowed it down to good answers...
And that's darn close to where all the water was falling...so what is it,did you use your crystal ball, imagination or your intuition or your knowledge?...You have the knowledge buddy, is what I believe...But you have the choice to answer what you want,without getting in too deep....
You know what I mean?
Example
:The big boss comes up to a group of you guys at work he say "I have this problem and explains it;And all a of sudden you come out and say I know whats the problem, and you got it right" and (taarrrraaa!!) you got a star for it..Did you use a crystal ball? no right? And congratulations you just kist your boss butt...
But the people here in this forum don't come here to get kist in the butt they come here for help...But who cares we pay the money and we loose the money,and again who cares....
And its not that I don't apreciate you stepping up,but you really did bust my ***** with the crystal ball (and I did have a hard time to get some1 to answer)...I don't mean to bust your ***** neither....And I certainly know you don't have a crystal ball as well as you know I'm not a writer....Thank you..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

I am just saying to any one watching plz give all the info when asking a question. My brain hurts some days when answering all the questions I do on avg between all 4 sites I deal with about 40 a day. Plus have a full time job,family,and full time side work to keep the family afloat. Busy SOB some days. I know pretty much how tings works on these cars so I can give u a good range to what is and what wont do it. More info the better ya know.
Besides the point let me know what u find out when u dry up teh area also undo some connectors on driver see and shake them to see if water is in there U can also look for water trails to see the path of water. Being that there is water damage inside U can rule out the IPM that's under the hood the ign switch it to far for water to reach so U are basically gearing toward the BCM or water in the connectors. Now with the water info I just told U to go look in one area instead of 3 different ones.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 AM

Ok,will try that and see what comes up...thanks