Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Considering buying a Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Default Considering buying a Pacifica

Now that the kids are getting bigger it is time for a bigger car. I am seriously considering a Pacifica. For all those that have one how do you like them and how reliable are they.

Is there a model year that should be avoided? Anybody changed their own timing belt, how much of a pain is it? Is the pacifica a pain to work on?

Thanks Mike

Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM

I say avoid any model years before '07. It seems people with the earlier model years had a lot of problems versus those with the '07 or '08's. I got a great deal on an '07 that was a dealer demo with 9K miles on it, still under factory warranty and I had them throw in the extended warranty as part of the deal. I got a fully loaded Touring edition for under $18K. I had to get rid of my Grand Cherokee when gas prices hit close to $5/gal. and getting 14 mpg wasn't working. I like the Pac's design and it was fairly luxurous. It drives great and get's fantastic mileage. I haven't had any problems with it so for me it's been a good choice. I don't know how hard they are to work on as I have the dealer do all the maintenance.

My suggestion is, if you find one, check out everything to make sure there aren't any issues.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Smile Sdhusker

Well Mike, the previous post is a good one. Stick with '07 or later. The new 4.0L engine with the 6 speed is a much better power train than previous models. Early '07 had a tourqe converter problem that caused tranny shudder. There is a service bulletin on that one and a free fix. We have an '07 Touring and no worries except for the aforementioned TSA that fixed the problem. Last year we drove it from the Gulf of Mexico to Fairbanks Alaska and back to home base in South Dakota. Overall actual mileage 23 MPG.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:14 AM

Have 2004 Pacifica purchased certified w/extended warranty. Took it to Sears for tires and mechanic said you need some front end work as Chrysler used inferior products for this car. Boy he wasn't kidding. Transfer case was shot as most all front end parts. 5 days later got car back running like new. But here we are a year later and the front end sounds like a train(feels lilke one also). Getting ready to take it back to dealer and I will unload this car. If you buy american buy Ford. Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by giantstwo
If you buy american buy Ford. Hope this helps.
...Pacifica is a great car for what it is. Stick with an 07 or 08 and check it out first

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM

Mike: We took a 400 + mile trip last week and got an honest 26.3 mpg! Ours is an 07 AWD touring. The 4. L negine and 6 speed auto are an outstanding combination. The power is equal to a V-8 in many cars. The ride is like glass. The 07 did have a torque converter replacement TBS, and in most cases that took care of the proble. The high gearing of 6th gear makes a slight sorta lugging at 55 to 60 mph and some don't like that feel. It makes good mpg and that's what I like.

Buy a new 08 and get the Lifetine Power Train Warranty. There are a good number of new 08 Pacificas located in the US. If the dealer is worth his salt he will find what you want. No vehicles are selling like hot cakes, so chances are good you can find close to what you want. The quality of materials is excellent, fit and finish are very good. I have bought 16 Chrysler made vehicles, Jeeps, Dodges, Chryslers, and Plymouths. I have been very pleased with all of them, but the PAC is the best of all.

Hope this helps.

farout

Last edited by farout; 04-28-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM

I like my 06, but I only have 12k miles on it. I also took the extented warranty that wraps around the powertrain warranty and is suppose to be forever. I guess its good I did from what you guys are saying.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 AM

I agree with the '07 to '08 model. I have an '07 Touring 4.0 liter and have not had any problems with it. The '07 model is when Diamler Benz and Chrysler actually worked jointly on this vehicle. It is my understanding that many of the components (engine and tranny included) are made by Mercedes. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SDHUSKER
Well Mike, the previous post is a good one. Stick with '07 or later. The new 4.0L engine with the 6 speed is a much better power train than previous models. Early '07 had a tourqe converter problem that caused tranny shudder. There is a service bulletin on that one and a free fix. We have an '07 Touring and no worries except for the aforementioned TSA that fixed the problem. Last year we drove it from the Gulf of Mexico to Fairbanks Alaska and back to home base in South Dakota. Overall actual mileage 23 MPG.
Hey there. Thanks for this info, Is this the recall associated with the fuel pump etc.? I found a recall through a yahoo search that said that their was a pcm / tcm recall.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Default Sdhusker

The TSB was to replace the tourqe converter in the tranny. I have not experienced any fuel pump problems.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a Pacifica