Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

engine stalling on 2005 pacifica

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Default engine stalling on 2005 pacifica

I've owned my 2005 pacifica since 2006, never had any problems till yesterday. After I filled my gas tank and took the car to the car wash, during the drive home, the engine stalled. Started right back up and about mile late, the engine stalled again. I let the car sit over night started the car in the morning with no problems but later, the car stalled again. I don't think it's the recall problem but I'm not sure what the problem could be. The car has alittle over 50,000 mile on it. The sevice engine light never turned on. Anybody has any ideas what the problem could be?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Default RE: engine stalling on 2005 pacifica

Engine stalling could be a hundred things. When did it die on you? When idling? Driving a certain speed/RPM? While accelerating, braking? All those things could point to different causes. You could still get the car hooked up to a code scanner to see if any faults are stored, although that will probably cost you $ at a dealership unless you happen to know someone that can do you a favor. Not everything will set off the engine light.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM

WOW, this is my first time I've owned a chrysler. I did't know that a code could still be set even if the check engine light doesn't turn on. I'll see if I can find someone who's got a scan tool. By the way, the car stalled at idle.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Yeah, all cars are like that. The engine computer will keep a "history" of codes which is one way dealers can tell how long a customer may have ignored a problem. I don't own a Chrysler either and actually have more GM experience. I'll probably be buying a Pacifica in the coming months which is why I'm hanging around here.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Good luck,.......for me, overall, the pacifica has been pretty good. I like the way it handles. Although, I wish that the engine was more powerful but fuel economy is good for a crossover vehicle.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Lightbulb 04 stalling just as oil light flickers

i have a 2004 pacifica. 4 1/2 years without a problem--it has been great until last week. I was crawling in traffic and my oil light started to blink. Within a minute the car stalled. I could restart it a couple of times but i believe that since I was in bumper to bumper traffic I couldn't get it going. Went to the dealer-no codes come up. They changed the spark plugs, got a new battery and did a bunch of other things ($900 worth) but the moment I drove it away I could feel the car was not better and after 2 days, the car stalled again when i was at a red light. Same thing happened...the oil light blinked and then it stalled. It seems to only happen when I am at a red light and go to accelarate.

Another weird thing is that when I hit my lock button on my key, the car unlocks. Nothing will lock the car expect to hit the lock button on the car door and then it seems to lock but sometimes when you go back to the car its unlocked. Also, the inside lights are unexplainably on sometime.