Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Exhaust leak - EGR valve??

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Default Exhaust leak - EGR valve??

Hello, just joined while researching an exhaust leak issue that just occured. On the way home from work my girlfriend called and said it sounded like the muffler fell off. No idiot lights or gauge behavior. When she got home and popped the hood it sounded as if the exhaust had a leak...nice cackle when you hit the accelerator. Under the hood I could tell it was coming from the drivers side and not the passenger. Reading about the EGR blowing the cap/plug off and wondering if this can be identified without removing it or ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2004 with approx. 130,000

Thank you!
Jason

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

stick you hand back there and feel for the puff puff

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I stuck my hand in there and was able to shove a pinkie in the bottom side of the EGR valve. I had my girlfriend start it up and covered up the opening and the cackle went away. So I have her out finding 7/8" expansion plugs so I can replace it. Going to try the one person's post of drilling a hole and putting a machine screw through to prevent it from coming out again....unless you have other advice?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

replace it that's my advise

Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM

let me know if you find a EGR Valve somewhere besides the dealer. I need one for my 06 Pac. Check Engine light keeps coming on..

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I ended up trying the expansion plugs and they just came out with the first kick down of the throttle. Ended up finding the original cap laying down in the engine bay and put it back in but figured it would come back out eventually so I tried fashioning a "wrap" to fasten around the end but couldn't get anything to stay the way it was molded. So then I thought of cold weld. Mashed some cold weld on the end and up around the sides and so far it's rock solid. If it comes off again I will be taking CT's advice and replacing it but for now it's fixed with a couple dollar cold weld (well besides the .33/ea spent on 3 expansion plugs).

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Here is where I was going to get mine if I needed to:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4968

Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Thumbs up

I know this post is old but who know might help some1..

I fixed my ECG valve by plugging it with a with one of those gas line plugs the ones you install your dryer to.. And that did it.. I had to shave some of the hex edges off so that it could fit..It went in pretty tight, but I drilled 2 holes ( the plug goes in about a quarter of an inch deep) and put 2 screws on the sides of it just to be safe.. Just save me about $80 bucks and the plug is bronze...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by TwinEdge
I know this post is old but who know might help some1..

I fixed my ECG valve by plugging it with a with one of those gas line plugs the ones you install your dryer to.. And that did it.. I had to shave some of the hex edges off so that it could fit..It went in pretty tight, but I drilled 2 holes ( the plug goes in about a quarter of an inch deep) and put 2 screws on the sides of it just to be safe.. Just save me about $80 bucks and the plug is bronze...
How did you get in there to drill? I took out my battery and tray and couldn't seem to get the right angle to drill to put a machine screw through.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jasonolson
How did you get in there to drill? I took out my battery and tray and couldn't seem to get the right angle to drill to put a machine screw through.
Yea it is hard, but I took the part out by putting my hands behind the exhaust pipe with a 3 inch extention (I didn't drill in the location )..If you have big hands it's going to be harder to take out the part ... And also you have to lean over the motor... look take the screw that holds the hose first, the go after the 2 screw that hold the part on the motor..