Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel Gauge At Empty

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Default Fuel Gauge At Empty

2007 Pacifica, 60,000 miles.

Had 1/3 of a tank. Fuel gauge went to empty, low fuel ding, check engine light came on, fuel gauge went back to proper fuel level. Did this a couple of times.

Check engine light is still on.

Disconnected battery to replace driver side hi/low lamp bulb. O'Reilly sold me the wrong part. Did not finish repair.

Reconnected battery. Check engine light is off and proper fuel level shown.

Had 1/3 of a tank. Fuel gauge went to empty, low fuel ding, check engine light came on, fuel gauge went back to proper fuel level. It did this a couple of times.

Check engine light is still on.

Went to gas station and filled up tank. Check engine light still on. Full tank of gas (put in 14+ gallons), but fuel gauge is on empty. Low fuel light on - not sure - maybe it was just on empty. Do not remember if there was a ding.

Started car this morning. Check engine light is still on. Fuel guage showed a full tank of gas.

So... what part needs replacing?

I searched this and other forums. It seems earlier models of the Pacifica had a software issue, 2004 I believe, and the solution was to flash something (memory?). It was not clear if this was done at no cost under a TSB repair. It does not sound like this is my problem.

Others that had fuel guage problems also had issues with not being able to quickly fill a tank, they had to drizzle the fuel in or it would not take a full tank. This had to do with a driveshaft going between a tank and pumps had to transfer fuel from one side to the other? Or it allowed more fuel to go to the injectors and then the extra fuel flowed back to the tank and that was somehow an issue. The people with this issue were often stranded by the side of the road. This does not sound like my problem either.

There was another normal wear and tear issue thread. It sounded like there are three sensors for fuel. Full tank, mid full tank, and empty tank. Since mid tank is the most used sensor, it would be the first to go bad. This seems logical and seems to fit with my symptoms. I just want to make sure a knowledgeable third party agrees before I go in for repairs. Money is so tight right now, I can not afford to throw money and parts at it like I could with past cars.

Any idea what this type of repair should cost? Is it something I can fix by unhooking a wire, unscrew something and reconnect a wire?

Thanks for your help

Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

need to know what the codes are for the check engine light b4 anything is done

Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Default Code

Code U1403 Implausible Fuel Level Signal.

Chrysler Tech said to take it to a dealer.

Crap...

Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Default Dealer said these parts are bad

For the fuel guage issue... they said the circut board in the fuel pump is bad. $550 installed price to fix it.

I complained about the hissing noise from the a/c. I lost my insider discount at a Firestone as my insider took another job. I never got it fixed, I just kept adding refridgerant when my wife is in the car for a trip. The dealer said $200 in parts and it will be $486 total to install and recharge the system. They would not guarentee this would fix the system, only guarentee the new parts for one year.

I complained that it is using about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Dealer said the PCV valve is stuck open and that is $55 installed. No noticable leaks in the summer. I saw a couple of drips in the winter. No puddle. The stuck valve is supposed to increase oil consumption. Hopefully that takes care of most of the oil loss.

They also said I had a small intake gasket leak. $325 to fix that. I passed. If it was not enough to drip to the ground, I doubt that is the main source of a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

I threw in an oil change. I had a coupon for an oil change, tire rotation, vehicle inspection, and 10% off repairs. All told I figure it will cost me at least $1111.00 and with the 10% off ($111) this little fixit will cost me a grand and 5 days without a car.

They also charged me a diganostic fee over $100 to look at the car for the fuel guage, but I am pretty sure that fee is waived if you get the repair done. Sometimes business will do a cash discount if you do not pay by credit card (they loose 3% to the credit card company), but no cash discount at the dealership.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Default P0463 Error code - Low Fuel Guage

Reviving this thread. Problem is exactly the same as mn2007pacifica. Mine is 2006 Pacifica - AWD 3.5L

Just recently after starting the car, the "Low Fuel" warning indicator flashed on the EVIC and check engine light lit up. Upon checking with my scanner, code P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Output appeared.

Car is running fine with no problems. Problems are the check engine light and the fuel gauge going back and forth from normal to "Low Fuel".

Can you please tell me how did they solve your problem?

@CHRYSLER TECH>> Do I need to replace the sending unit? If yes, which one?