Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel Gauge/Sensor Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Default Fuel Gauge/Sensor Trouble

Was wondering if others are having this problem, or if there is a TSB or other recourse for dealing with it.

I have a 2004 Pacifica, and the fuel gauge frequently "drops out" to empty, sounds the low fuel tone, and then returns to normal. Usually happens at half a tank or less. Oddly enough, I had a 1997 Grand Caravan that did the exact same thing, but it didn't start until I had really high mileage (nearly 100K). But on my Pacifica, I only have 40,000 (of course, out of warranty [:@]).

With my caravan, we replaced the entire fuel pump due to vehicle age. Have gotten a several-hundred-dollar estimate for my Pacifica to replace the sense/sending unit. Just seems ridiculous to me.

Then yesterday, a friend of mine that also has a 2004 Pacifica (50,000 miles on his), and he tells me, "Hey, I have this really strange problem with my fuel gauge......"

Are others having this problem? Clearly there is a design flaw or problem that Chrysler needs to address!

Old 04-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Default RE: Fuel Gauge/Sensor Trouble

4/6/2006 10:52:19 AM

PacificaBEW

Status: offline Was wondering if others are having this problem, or if there is a TSB or other recourse for dealing with it.

I have a 2004 Pacifica, and the fuel gauge frequently "drops out" to empty, sounds the low fuel tone, and then returns to normal. Usually happens at half a tank or less. Oddly enough, I had a 1997 Grand Caravan that did the exact same thing, but it didn't start until I had really high mileage (nearly 100K). But on my Pacifica, I only have 40,000 (of course, out of warranty ).

With my caravan, we replaced the entire fuel pump due to vehicle age. Have gotten a several-hundred-dollar estimate for my Pacifica to replace the sense/sending unit. Just seems ridiculous to me.

Then yesterday, a friend of mine that also has a 2004 Pacifica (50,000 miles on his), and he tells me, "Hey, I have this really strange problem with my fuel gauge......"

Are others having this problem? Clearly there is a design flaw or problem that Chrysler needs to address!

I am having the same problem I am hating this car any news on a recall??????

vicki

Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 PM

needs a cluster, and check corrosion on the PCM connectors, and a secondary fuel pump.................
seen it many times. most parts are readily available.

Xtreme

Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 PM

I just got my Pacifica in October 2005 and mine started doing the same thing a little after 40K as well. I just contacted Chrysler and got it documented. If this is a "normal" problem consumers are experiencing, why hasn't Chrysler done a recall? Call Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997 and let them know. It's not fair to us consumers that we have to pay a $100 deductible (for a diagnostic) for something that was defective to begin with.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
moe

heres the tsb number you need ,I work for a dealer ship im not sure i could get in trouble but heres goes.tsb is for fluctuating fuel gauge operation.#08-038-03.now its just and update to your software in yout pcm.not parts are needed. plus remember it also goes buy your vin number on your car.i'll email you a copy of the tsb. let me know MOE!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 AM

I am having the fuel/gauge problem as well. It goes from full to empty sounds the warning and then goes back to where it's supposed to . At first I thought it was condensation in the fuel tank, since I live in a very cold place and sometimes i park in the garage. But I'll leave it up to the dealer to figure out what the heck in going on.
Ivonne

Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 PM

I have a 2004 T&C with 58,000 miles and this problem just started. Seems to get worse as the take approaches half full. Will contact the dealer tomorrow to see if the tsb applies. I bought this vehicle just 5000 miles ago. Had several calls trying to sell me extended warranty for $2000 and declined. Hope this isn't the beginning of when I should have bought it.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

the tab mos is talking about is for the PAC not the T&C there are no tsb for an 05 with fuel related issues sorry. The 2000 u would have spent would have been more then worth it if it was a factory warranty and not an aftermarket warranty they almost never cover nething unless its big stuff aka engine, trans ect.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:02 PM

I guess I'm a little concerned about my (turns out to be) 2003 T&C. In the good old days you bought a car and it ran till it died with a few tune ups and maintenance parts. With todays "electronic cars" everyone wants to sell you $2000 worth of warranty on top of the price of the car. Are they so unreliable that this warranty is really a "good" deal. The last warranty I bought was on a Geo Metro through 100,000 and it was a total loss. I threw the money away. If the answer is yes, then no one will be able to aford to own a car over 100,000 since the warranty will be over and you won't be able to afford to "fix" it. Anyone thoughts on the cost/value of warranty on 2003 T&C's would be appreciated?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

from being a chrysler tech I would get the high end deal with 50 to no decuctable and will cover bumper to bumper. A FACTORY ONE not some aftermarket BS that alot f places will want to sell u. MOst of the places willget a huge kick back from selling it to u and they dont cover crap. Atleast with a chrysler contract all u need is a part number and run it on the computer and it will say covered or not no adjusters no having to call and fight with the company on what they should cover and what thay arnt. I am all over a factory warranty I know the next new car i get will have 1 100k top of the line coverage. it will run ooo 3k maybe max but i will tell u a brandnew hemi engine long block is 5k in parts alone so u do the math.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge/Sensor Trouble