Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

fuel guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Default fuel guage problems

I have a 2004 pacifica and i was wondering what would cause the fuel gauge to go from 3/4 or 1/2 or any position for that matter to empty. It will stay there for a few seconds and then go back to where it should be. It has been doing it for a while now but it seem to be getting more frequent now. I think it might be a shorted out wire or bad connection at sending unit or possibly even the sending unit. I just want to see if i was on the right track.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Default RE: fuel guage problems

Yes, you're on the right track. Intermittent gauges like that are almost always the gauge itself, or the sending unit. More commonly the sending unit. But it will be hard to test with the problem only happening occasionally, because it would only send out a "bad" signal when it's acting up. That said, if you are under extended warranty I would get it in and have the sending unit replaced. Otherwise, you may just want to put up with it for awhile and see if it gets worse. Unless you have money to burn to have a mechanic chase down the problem now.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM

Hi there, I have a very similar problem and I've seen it all over the site. The difference in my situation is I have a 2005!
So the gas gage definitely drops anywhere from 300 or 250Km down to 20-45KM remaining. It always drops once it hits that half way mark. When I try to fill it up... I need to nurse it... hold the pump lightly and slowly give it gas... it will at this point only take about half of what it used to take to fill it up. ( This sorta speaks to the idea of one half of the camel tank still being full.) The scary thing is I've already brought it in to the dealer. The charged me 800$ to change both sending units and the problem isn't even fixed. Now they want 1000$ to change the entire gas tank. I'm starting to freak out here. All the posts never have the solution aside from the potential recall for updating the body control module. Not sure if the body upgrade is applicable to the 2005 2WD I have. The VIN is: 5R295302. Any help you can give me to lead this dealer in the right direction is going to help. Thanks for your time!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Hi friends,

The garage now wants to change the entire gas tank for rectify this situation. does this make any sense to you? Thanks for your input.

Brad

Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 AM

We are having the same problem with our 05 2wd that bradg is having. The gauge gets to the half a tank mark and it goes down to E. To fill the tank we have to go as slow as we can to get fuel in it. I haven't seen anything on here that is a fix yet. I have checked everything that has been said to check. Sounds like this a problem that is happing to allot of these cars and Chrysler needs to do something about it.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Default gas tank issues with 04 Pacifica

I need help with my car, I have taken it to so many dealerships and I just keep replacing parts and nothing is working. When my car gets to half a tank it drops to empty and when I try to fill it, it repeatedly clicks off and spits out the gas. I have replaced the Evap canister, both fuel pumps and checked all the lines and nothing is working. This car has been my worst nightmare. I literally have $10,000 in parts invested in it and can't drive it out of town so the car is literally worthless to me. If I don't drive it for 3 days the battery is dead so I have to keep it on a battery tender. I have put 5 new batteries in it now, replaced the starter, alternator and fuse box ($2,000). The horn randomly just goes off with one long beep so I removed the fuse for it. Someone, please help me, I hate this car so bad right now.