Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Good Fan replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Default Good Fan replacement?

So I'm looking at replacing my radiator Fan assembly, and it looks like I'll be paying $70-100+ either way, and I'll be using a used OEM engine cooling Fan or a new Fan from an aftermarket brand.

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Replacement Radiator Fans ? CARiD.com

The car is a 2006 Pacifica Touring 3.5L V6. My main concern with aftermarket brands is that somewhere I read that they are mostly one speed - while the OEM Fans are two speeds (Hi & Low).

They all have 2 fans inside the shroud but I have seen some that just seem to consist of one fan for some reason...

Anyway it's my 1st post...please feel free to chime in with any helpful thoughts. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Funny you mentioned this, I was JUST looking at the same fan set for my 2007 4.0L Pacifica. One fan has started to make a "grinding bearing" noise when it kicks on at a certain engine temperature. I'm assuming the only real solution is to replace the fan assembly. Has anyone ever done this fan replacement job themselves on a Pacifica, and how difficult was it?

CARid.com has a good price for my 2007, for an off-brand TYC product priced at $91. RockAuto.com has the same part for $90 and their shipping is a little cheaper, so I may go that route. Plus I can find a 5% off coupon code for Rock Auto, they are always floating around. They have other brands too, all the way up to the Mopar equivalent for $358!!! I like OEM parts when possible, but I can't justify that inflation for my Pacifica with 150k miles on it.

Especially for the coin I am dropping to find/fix an leak to the interior... that saga is in another thread!

EDIT: I also just found the TYC fan assembly on Amazon (I have Prime, so free shipping) for $95-98 depending on seller, so I may buy there. Either way it'll be right around $100 give or take.

Last edited by scottydl; 01-06-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by scottydl
Funny you mentioned this, I was JUST looking at the same fan set for my 2007 4.0L Pacifica. One fan has started to make a "grinding bearing" noise when it kicks on at a certain engine temperature. I'm assuming the only real solution is to replace the fan assembly. Has anyone ever done this fan replacement job themselves on a Pacifica, and how difficult was it?

CARid.com has a good price for my 2007, for an off-brand TYC product priced at $91. RockAuto.com has the same part for $90 and their shipping is a little cheaper, so I may go that route. Plus I can find a 5% off coupon code for Rock Auto, they are always floating around. They have other brands too, all the way up to the Mopar equivalent for $358!!! I like OEM parts when possible, but I can't justify that inflation for my Pacifica with 150k miles on it.

Especially for the coin I am dropping to find/fix an leak to the interior... that saga is in another thread!

EDIT: I also just found the TYC fan assembly on Amazon (I have Prime, so free shipping) for $95-98 depending on seller, so I may buy there. Either way it'll be right around $100 give or take.
Thanks for the reply! Yes the OEM Used Fans in good condition all run 70+ on Ebay. I wouldn't mind paying $20-40 more on a New aftermarket Fan - but as I said someone on another thread kind of scared me away from aftermarket fans as they claimed they only have one speed unlike the OEM's which have 2 speeds (Hi/Low) for cooling your car. He recommended going aftermarket on a radiator if you need one, and always going OEM on the fans themselves.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_M5
Thanks for the reply! Yes the OEM Used Fans in good condition all run 70+ on Ebay. I wouldn't mind paying $20-40 more on a New aftermarket Fan - but as I said someone on another thread kind of scared me away from aftermarket fans as they claimed they only have one speed unlike the OEM's which have 2 speeds (Hi/Low) for cooling your car. He recommended going aftermarket on a radiator if you need one, and always going OEM on the fans themselves.
Fan speed is not controlled by the fan itself:

The solid state radiator fan relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal. The relay control circuit supplies a 12 volt signal to the PCM. The PCM then pulses the ground circuit to achieve fan on time.The relay provides a voltage to the fan motors which is proportional to the pulse width it receives from the PCM. The duty cycle ranges from 50% for low speed operation, then ramps-up to 100% for high speed operation. This fan control system provides infinitely variable fan speeds, allowing for improved fan noise, A/C performance, better engine cooling, and additional vehicle power.
To control operation of the relay, the PCM looks at inputs from:
  1. Engine coolant temperature
  2. A/C pressure transducer
  3. Ambient temperature from the body controller
  4. Vehicle speed
  5. Transmission oil temperature
The PCM uses these inputs to determine when the fan should operate and at what speed.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 AM

I have a 2005 3.5L that needs a new fan unit. This looks like an OEM piece, and reasonable price...
https://www.am-autoparts.com/Chrysler/Pacifica/radiator-fan-assembly/AM-1195375063/650956.html?gclid=CNSdxcf588sCFUpahgod6AIP7A

What do you think?

I want to avoid a Chinese piece of crap.