Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Headlight ground issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Question Headlight ground issues

My '05 driver's side low beam won't light up!? I've tried the bulb in the passenger side and it works fine. I think I've determined that the ground is bad....I did this by putting one end of the bulb into the driver's +'ve headlight connector and made the light illuminate by touching the other connector for the headlight to a test wire attached to the frame.

Now, how do I properly ground the headlight?? I was thinking of simply attaching this 'test' wire, (attached to the frame) to the ground wire for the headlight or better yet finding where the headlight is supposed to ground and fix the likely corrosion/splice issue (if not the bcm, etc.)...yet I'm not able to find where the grounding location is nor can I find a good picture locating this grounding location...
I'm also not sure how to rule out the socket causing the ground issue itself vs. the ground wire leading to the socket without cutting the wire off the socket?
Help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes U can make a ground to the frame no paint or corrosion in the area. The G103 is front driver side of the frame
As for your diog if you have a test light or volt meter u can unplug the connector at the headlight turn the lights on look for the power white dark blue and ground use an ohm meter to ground and then the wire black lite green if it shows resistance then the wire is good or have connection. Could be not enough wires in the bundle to make a good ground as well.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply!
Does anyone have a picture of this G103 connection which is involved in the driver's side headlight grounding? I can find some schematic images on google, but my brain doesn't quite work that way I'm looking for a real pic or something with landmarks that would help me out....i.e. can I get to it/see it from looking down under the hood?

If the G103 connection pt doesn't seem to fix the issue, how do you suggest I ground the headlight? I get the part about attaching the same guage wire to the frame, but then I should run it and attach it to where exactly?
Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah u can make a new ground wire to any place that is good grounded. The G103 will have several wires its a ground from several different items so I doubt teh ground itself is bad more likely the wire going to teh g103

Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM

I get where to ground it to the body, but how should I ground the wire to the headlight? Should I cut the wire (which should be grounded) before it enters the headlight socket or try to attach the new ground directly to where the bulb connects, etc?
One last thought, if the wire feeding the G103 isn't properly grounded, wouldn't I have issues with other components and does anyone have good instructions on how to access the G103 location so I can clean up the contact point??

Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

i can tap the ground wire at the socket cut it I prob would not the ground will go to the path of least resistance anyway.
As for the second part you are correct as I said also if there was a prob at the ground itself it would have more then just the issue with that headlight

Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 PM

BM, did you fix this?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:00 PM

I've got the same problem with my 04 pacifica drivers side low beam not working. All the other lights work fine. However the white/light blue power wire is working as is the black/light green ground wire is also working. yet when I plug in the headlight the light still doesn't come on. I did find a green /white striped wire which I think is a ground that is not working. I tried jumping it to ground and still no low beam. Also white and violet striped wire always has power, which I believe is the power to the pass. side high beam. The driver side high beam power wire goes on and off with the switch. like I said the pass side high beam works fine on and off with the switch. but it always has power. When a turn off the high beams the lights go out . but the test light still lights up on the white/violet wire. The D2S HID bulbs are replaced. I cleaned and tightened frame rail ground posts #'s G101, G102 and G103 located on the drivers side (left) frame rail below the battery. Could have been G104. there 3 post close together down there. none of the wires were broken. Minor corrosion. Could it be a bad left ballast or would the high beam not work too, if that ballast was bad? Should I try unplugging the connector plug and plugging it back in on the IPM (Integrated Power Module) Back side of the fuse panel in the left side engine compartment.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:13 AM

Back at it. Left low beam problem diagnosed. Switched ballast and reversed problem drivers side low beam works. Passenger side low beam stopped working. I haven't installed a new ballast yet but assume that's the problem since the ballast from the passenger side light that was working made the drivers side low beam work again. And the ballast from the drivers side low beam that was not working made the passenger side low beam quit working. Will change it out and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:07 PM

Replaced the ballast and the headlight works fine that was the problem. I learned if it isn't the bulb check the ballast next.

Quick Reply: Headlight ground issues