Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

How do I replace driver side mirror glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Default How do I replace driver side mirror glass

I have a crack in the glass and it got all discolored so I have to replace it to get it inspected I bought new glass on ebay and am not sure how to get the old glass out of there. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Got a pic of the new glass? Does it have a plastic backing?
If it is just a piece of glass, you can destroy the old glass, then use double sided tape to install the new glass.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM

If it is just a sheet of glass without the backing, then one option is just rough up the existing glass with sandpaper, and glue the new piece on over it.

I have a scratched drivers side mirror I want to replace, so I am interested in this solution too. I prefer to do it properly, but will go with this option if I dont have a clue what Im doing.

On a couple cars i have seen, the mirror has a plastic backing with metal spring clips that attach to a gimbal joint in the housing. You just pull it off and push on the replacement part. I dont know if this car is the same.

The problem I found is , without any experience doing it, you dont know how hard you have to push to properly seat it, and you have to apply the pressure evenly across the area that seats on the gimbal joint to avoid cracking the replacement part

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Maybe I'll try to post a picture. I think the glass is filled with some kind of fluid that darkens when you have bright lights behind you? I ordered a new piece of glass that will get here in a week. I did wonder:

Can I get the old piece out of there (it doesn't look like I can) There is a plastic piece all around the edge of the mirror that is in there. While on the passenger side, it looks like it would be easier.

Maybe I need to break it up to get it out of there.

Maybe I can just use the adhesive that come with the new glass and attach right over the old one.

The passenger side looks easy, but the driver side has a plastic lip all the way around the glass.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, I appreciate it.

Paul

Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM

the mirror has plastic tabs on them that will pry out, and a replacement just pops in once you reconnect the wires for the auto dim and heater, I think the Pac has both off those functions on the drivers side

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 AM

I just want to make sure I am understanding you, I can just pry the mirror out? Once I get going on something like that there is no stopping me and I envision it ending up looking like an explosive ordinance disposal team took that mirror off.

So, I should be able to pop this mirror off by prying it out until the clips let go?

Thank you very much for your help...

Paul

Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM

That's the way I did my Aspen, and also my Sebring. I also did one on a Toyota Sienna, and it was the same, just make sure when you install the new one you keep it flat, don't push on the outside edges as it'll flex, and then break, but it was that easy.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM

If in doubt, break out the old glass slowly. IF you break anything on the power side of the mirror, you will have to replace the mirror! You can use a HEAT gun to crack the glass and loosen the adhesive behind, all in one.

If I had a picture of the new mirror, I could tell you how it comes out.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Default It wasn't pretty

Well, it does "pry out" but I should have just tipped it all the way to one side and got my fingers in there and pushed from as close to the middle as possible. As it was I tried to pry from the edges, the mirror broke, it is filled with about the nastiest substance I have encountered so far. I got this crap all over my hands and quickly got it off the paint. This liquid filled mirror is mounted on a plastic backing plate that snaps into place. I got all the glass and nastiness off of the plastic and used the included double stick pads to stick the new piece of glass that I got off of ebay into place. Then I snapped it back in place carefully. If it ever falls off, I will replace it properly now that I know how it goes together. I wont have the heat or auto darkening features..but I have a new mirror for $20. Whatever you do, try to get that off there without breaking it or you will have a big mess.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM

I have the same problem that you had. My mirror is discolored and its annoying me. I found some on ebay (mirrors) for $20 also. I was wondering what year is your Pac and do you remember the size of the mirror you purchased?