Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

How is the Pacifica at towing? Do I need a cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Default How is the Pacifica at towing? Do I need a cooler?

I am looking to place a Class II Hitchon my 2006 AWD Pacifica Touring for towing a 3000lb. folding trailer (Coleman Niagara)....
[ul][*]Does anyone have any horror stories of towing with a Pacifica before I go through with this?[*]Have you had good luck?[*]Wouldany particular hitch look better?[*]Would any work better?[*]Do I need a tranny cooler?

Thank you.
Tim [/ul]

Old 04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Default RE: How is the Pacifica at towing? Do I need a cooler?

The pac has a factory aux trans cooler as well as aux engine oil cooler. As for a hitch, the OE ones fit the best but can be expensive. Some aftermarket hitches can sit too low in the back IMO. But some are better. Shop around. I would highly recommend the factory trailor wire harness. It will be a plug and play type. Some aftermarket ones are just as good[if you can find one] Avoid the type wear wires need to be cut and spliced.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 AM

I use my 05 AWD Pac. to tow a Miata on a dolly. I road race the Miata and usually tow it about 250 miles each way to the various tracks. I use the auto-stick when towing, and am very pleased with the way it tows. Plenty of power going uphill on the highways. No problem cruising along anywhere from 55-75mph. Yes, as previously stated it has a factory trans cooler.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm also looking to add a hitch to my 06 Pac. Is the transmission cooler stock or an option? Also has anyone intalled an OEM (mopar) hitch themselves? I've read that it's pretty easy???

Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 AM

I installed a Class III hitch on my Pac myself and it was extremely easy. Put the back end up on ramps and it'sa breeze. The hitch itself is fairly heavy so you may want to have someone help you hold it up when you bolt it on.

As for towing, I've towed a 2300lbs boat without a problem. I live in a hilly area so I use the autostick and have to keep it out of lockup most of the time so the mileage takes a dive.

Anyone here ever tow anything 3500lbs with a Pacifica yet?

Does every Pacifica come with a factory aux trans cooler and oil cooler?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 AM

I"m new to this list but used our Pacifica to tow an Audi s6 Avant from LA home to the Bay area on a flatbed trailer. Used an aftermarket hitch and wiring kit, took a couple of hours to get everything in place. Had to install a brake controller with no kits to help, that took another couple of hours, in total about 5 hours of installation time. The Audi weighs right at 4k lbs. and the trailer is another 1500 or so, we were right on the towing limitfor the hitch. I have been using an old International Travelall for towing for about 15 years and have to compare the Pacifica to the IH and it comes off real well. The only place where the IH had an advantage was in low speed torque, everwhere else the Pacifica was even better than the old IH. We cruised down unloaded at 80 mph most of the time, never needed to manually shift even going up the Grapevine and we got right at 20 mpg, couldn't have asked for more from it. Coming back with the load was a bit more work but never had to drop below 3rd gear and really cruised right up the Grapevine at 45+ mph. In total I'd say the Pacifica is a great tow car, even for fairly heavy loads. It has been designated asour tow vehicle for the near future. The one issue I have is one already mentioned, the hitch is pretty low in the back. We have a base model so no self leveling and that brings me to......anybody know of a source for air springs to fit the base suspension. I've tried to find a source but haven't found any yet, any ideas? We do have awd, snowboarder, and I really like the thing, didn't think I'd ever find a car to replace the old IH but we sure did with the Pacifica. We did install the rear seat so we could carry 7 passengers, got 4 grandkids, and even my wife likes it, and that almost never happens. Later........
dc

Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM

I have an 07 PAC AWD with the 4.L6 speed auto. Without the coolers the weight limit is 1,500 lbs, and with the cololer it is 3,500 lbs. The delaer can put on the hitch, the wiring and the cooler for about $700. pricy, but it's right and does not change the LifeTime Powertrain Warranty on those with the LPW. I can't say for sure about the 06 PAC as it has the 4 spped auto and 3.5 engine I think.

farout