Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Ignition Switch?

Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Default Ignition Switch?

I have a 2005 Pacifica touring 2wd. Recently I have been dealing with the "intermittent no start" issue. I have added an extra ground wire from battery to trans. housing. That didn't seem to help much. Last night I noticed that sometimes when I remove the key from the ignition, the "dinger" sounds like it thinks the key is still inserted. Would this lead you to guess that it may be the ignition switch itself that needs to be replaced?
Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:18 PM

There's a little doohickey in the ignition key slot that moves when the key is inserted. It's supposed to move back when the key is removed but might stick. Try putting a drop of WD-40 on the key and work it in and out a few times. That might cure the "dinger" problem but it is unlikely to help with the intermittent no-start problem.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's probably my luck. I was hopeful since I heard of several people who had starting issues due to faulty ignition switch (possibly even a recall). When I looked into it the little bit that I have, it seems there are several different components to the ignition switch, so I'm not sure which one to start with if I went that route. As for the starting issue, would it make any difference that the ground wire I added I attached to the trans housing vs. directly to the starter? Would I possibly get a better result?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM

Ground wire probably did nothing since it's all bolted together anyway. Can't hurt.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by loelyf
I have a 2005 Pacifica touring 2wd. Recently I have been dealing with the "intermittent no start" issue. I have added an extra ground wire from battery to trans. housing. That didn't seem to help much. Last night I noticed that sometimes when I remove the key from the ignition, the "dinger" sounds like it thinks the key is still inserted. Would this lead you to guess that it may be the ignition switch itself that needs to be replaced?
Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
I know this is an old thread but I had the same issue and mine finally went.
No start and naturally it never comes at a good time.
You need the Ignition Switch kit with actuator pin. See #8

I can post a picture of my broken one if you like. The pot-metal piece of the tab gets weak and breaks off eventually.

Link: 2004-2008 Chrysler Pacifica Ignition Switch Actuator Pin - Dorman 924-739 - - PartsGeek.com

Hope that helps