Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Knocking issues even after replacing lifters, what does this sound like to you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Default Knocking issues even after replacing lifters, what does this sound like to you?

I bought this pacifica for $600 knowing that the engine was knocking. It's a 2006 pacifica limited AWD with the 3.5l. I did some research online and at first came to the conclusion that it was bad lifters, which there were quite a few that were bad, so I replaced all of them, I let them soak in oil for 24 hours before putting the new ones in. But the knocking is still there, now I'm starting to think its a bad rod bearing, but i'm not 100% sure, so I would like a few different opinions. I will include a link to the video I took so you can hear the noise, Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Oh and the engine has 168,000 miles on it incase anyone was wondering.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM

That's not lifters. And it's not going to heal itself. It sounds much more like some serious main bearing or con rod problems.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 AM

That's what I was thinking after I did some more research online, I came up with the conclusion that i'll either need new rod bearings or a new camshaft. Am I correct on that? What do you think is wrong if you had to take a guess? Cause a rod bearing set is only like $30 but a new crankshaft is roughly $280, I just want to double check before I dish out more money on the wrong parts and the time/effort of replacing them lol. Although some of the lifters did need to be changed so I guess the $140 for them wasn't completely wasted. Thank you for any/all input, I greatly appreciate it

Old 09-21-2016, 09:49 AM

I guess I could buy the connecting rods and the rod bearings and change them both at the same time considering neither part is that expensive, and I'm doing all the work, cause I believe in never taking your car to a dealer or mechanic, I'd much rather learn it on my own to save me on labor. And It helps that i'm a very quick learner and very knowledgeable, I accidentally read your post wrong the first time lol

Old 09-21-2016, 11:10 AM

3.5 Engine Connecting Rod Bearing Information/ Analysis - Page 6 - Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
Engine is similar to the one used in the 300M
Information in above link may help

Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Ok after reading the thread you linked me I came to the conclusion that you obviously know what your talking about FIREM lol. So here is my next set of questions if you don't mind answering them.

If this was your car what would you do?
Does it sound like I should buy a rebuild kit?
Or should I do an engine swap?
Or take it apart and see if it's the connecting rods or just the bearings, or both?
If it's the connecting rods or a main rod should I buy new ones and replace the damaged ones?

Old 09-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Crank and connecting rods are probably damaged
Metal debris circulating through the rest of the engine May have done more damage
I would try and price see what's available an engine from the yard. Not sure what other engines are compatible.
Rebuilding your original engine would require a complete tear down and clean out any metal

Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking....So I found a video on youtube last night and a guy was about to put a 3.5l h.o engine from an 03 charger into an 04 pacifica....From your experience do you know if that's possible? If so I'm definitely going to look for an h.o engine so I can finally have my car back, it's been about 3 months now since i've had my own car.