Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Default Navigation Question

Hello

I'm new on the block, but not a stranger when it comes to cars. We have a 2005 Limited AWD Bright Silver Pacifica!

My question is in regards to the Pacifica's navigation system.

When we purchased the vehicle last April, the elderly couple that we purchased it from stated they "lost" the navigation disc so we could never check to see if the unit is in working order.

I have read that we can use discs that are XXXXXXXX-AA through -AE. The serial number should be on the lower right hand side of the disc of everyone's car who has navigation.

I wound up buying the XXXXXXXX-AE version off of eBay for $20. I'm assuming that our vehicle may have come with the -AA or -AB disc to start off with. Can you make that kind of jump with the navigation disc?

When I insert the -AE disc we do have the LCD in the dash cluster simply says "cannot read disc." Would this be due to drive error or because I'm making too much of a jump in the navigation disc?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BrightSilver
Hello

I'm new on the block, but not a stranger when it comes to cars. We have a 2005 Limited AWD Bright Silver Pacifica!

My question is in regards to the Pacifica's navigation system.

When we purchased the vehicle last April, the elderly couple that we purchased it from stated they "lost" the navigation disc so we could never check to see if the unit is in working order.

I have read that we can use discs that are XXXXXXXX-AA through -AE. The serial number should be on the lower right hand side of the disc of everyone's car who has navigation.

I wound up buying the XXXXXXXX-AE version off of eBay for $20. I'm assuming that our vehicle may have come with the -AA or -AB disc to start off with. Can you make that kind of jump with the navigation disc?

When I insert the -AE disc we do have the LCD in the dash cluster simply says "cannot read disc." Would this be due to drive error or because I'm making too much of a jump in the navigation disc?

Forgive me if I am mis-interpreting you post. The NAV disc goes into a dedicated reader in the back of the car. Open the hatch, open the small stowage in the cargo deck, gently pull back the lining on the left side and you should see the navigation disc drive.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM

No, I know where the navigation disc goes.

My question is this given the information:'

1) Is it possible that my disc drive is bad, since the navigation display in the dash is saying, "cannot read disc."

or

2) Is my disc drive unable to read the disc because of the higher build number of the navigation data. The disc I have is xxxxxxxxx-AE, whereas I'm guessing my car may have came with -AA or -AB.

I called the company that makes these discs if my vehicle was compatible with the -AE disc. I was given a reluctant "I think it should be fine..."

Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrightSilver
No, I know where the navigation disc goes.

My question is this given the information:'

1) Is it possible that my disc drive is bad, since the navigation display in the dash is saying, "cannot read disc."

or

2) Is my disc drive unable to read the disc because of the higher build number of the navigation data. The disc I have is xxxxxxxxx-AE, whereas I'm guessing my car may have came with -AA or -AB.

I called the company that makes these discs if my vehicle was compatible with the -AE disc. I was given a reluctant "I think it should be fine..."
Ok sorry. I am fairly certain I am running an AE in my '05 Limited - unfortunate ly i am away from the car for several days or I would look. . Do you have the navigation manual? I seem to remember that I once got some sort of error message after ejecting the existing disc and reloading. I checked the manual and followed the steps exactly for installing a disc and it worked.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes, I have examined the nav book. I think the disc drive is dead/dying.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Default Place to get Nav-DVD Drive Refurbished

Cost $225 (includes return shipping) : United Radio Automotive Electronics

United Radio - Automotive Electronics - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

Got the name from Alpine, the manufacturer of the unit. Hope that helps.

This is a little less than going price on e-Bay for a "hope it works" unit from a junk yard + you get a warranty. ...that is when they even are available.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Just checked mine and i have the same years model and color as yours..the DVD in AC 2004!!

So i iI understand and would like to update my system i have to pay 225$ for a new DVD?? I am pretty sure a cheaper route is available!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Default More Navigation Questions

I have a 2005 Pacifica which originally had the 05064033-AC disk; we updated a few years ago and got the AF disk at that time. Although it seemed more current, it was still "behind".

I see now that the 05064033AL version of the disk is available from Navteq, and apparently there was an "AK" version published in early 2012, so I'd think that the AL version should be fairly new.

Has anyone purchased the AL version? We're far behind now with the AF version, but I hate to spend $150 (that's the price for the AL version) if it's still not up to date. They have these way overpriced when they're not good updates or you know that they're missing roads and points of interest that were definitely in existence long before they published.