Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

New Pacifica owner, starts and then immediately stalls and dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Default New Pacifica owner, starts and then immediately stalls and dies

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and hopefully can find some help. I have tried multiple fixes that i have found on the forum and searched multiple threads so i figured I would finally post my own.

Okay let me give you the run down. I recently purchased a 2004 chrysler pacifica for dirt cheap. From a friend of mine. He was tired of messing with it. I fell in love with the car and thought it would be a great family vehicle.
Let me start by saying that it is a beautiful "non running" machine. When we bought it he was having issues with it not running well. We barely managed to drive it home, a total of 5 blocks from his house. On the way home my wife could not go above 10 mph without it wanting to stall out and die. It still did stall multiple times and die once. And it tried to die multiple times. It also seemed to have more trouble running on inclines. Now it sits in my driveway. It will turn over and will start, but it immediately dies.

what has been done to the car before i received it.

New fuel pumps " 2 times"
new egr valve
New battery.

What i have done.

new tps sensor
removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.
checked gas cap "just because"
looked over all fuses and relays in engine "everything appears ok"
removed negative battery cable and grounded a jumper cable to the engine block. "for testing purposes."

One last thing it was throwing 2 error codes before i unhooked the battery p0404 and p0420 which made me wonder if it was possibly a bad catalytic convertor. Any help would be appreciated as i am not a mechanic but pretty good with figuring things out
thanks a bunch!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

take out the o2 sensors before the cat converter see if it will make any difference with it dieing if it does then u have a clogged up cat.