Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0016 - Code after new timing belt AND Sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Question P0016 - Code after new timing belt AND Sensor replacement

I have a 2005 Pacifica 3.5L. I have replaced timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, Timing belt, water pump and both of the Camshaft sensors. I'll erase the codes and restart. Sometimes the P0016 code reappears immediately, other times may take a few minutes of driving but it ALWAYS comes back on.

Now, heres the back story to what occurred to cause me to replace everything. I was sitting at a stop light when my car suddenly died. I was able to restart engine but it seemed like it was running on 1 cylinder. Lucky I was at entrance to gas station parking lot and was able to pull in and park immediately. I used my scan tool to check the engine code that was now shown and it was a P0016. I had the car towed home. Next day I replaced the cam sensors erased the code and tried to start the car. No change in performance from when it first died, sputtered badly an dies immediately.

Next day I tore open the case to find a timing belt worn on one edge as if it rubbed on case but was still intact and quite tight. Cam timing marks were about 4 teeth advanced from TDC when crank is at TDC so obviously belt skipped. There was quite a bit of dust and debris in case from belt. I brushed out debris and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner.

I then replaced the tensioner, tensioner pully(was bad and could feel bearings were shot and likely what caused belt to misalign and rub on something), water pump (which was perfect but changed anyway), realigned timing marks to TDC, installed belts and reassembled everything. Also installed new serpentine belt. I also cleaned out throttle boddy with brake cleaner while air filter and housing were off. I erased the codes again and started the car. Engine fired right up and purred nicely. Sounded and felt better than it had in years. Unfortunately the p0016 code popped up immediately putting car into limp in mode. I double checked all my connections to the sensors, erased codes, and started the car. I repeated this process of fiddling with the cam sensor connections, erasing and starting car many many times. The results vary though from code appearing immediately to code appear after several minutes. As the P0016 code never appeared until the timing belt slipped I am hesitant to suspect wiring as that would be pretty coincidental to happen at same time belt slips. However as I did replace the sensors I suppose a wire could be loose somewhere now that I've moved them around so much to install new sensors.

Any help or suggestions of what to do or try next? I'm really stumped on this.