Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0032 and P0403

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Default P0032 and P0403

I have a 04 Pacifica AWD. I've had CEL for awhile finally scanned codes and these 2 came up. When I scan them it says I have 4 codes but it's just repeating these 2, anyway changed upstream O2 sensor and EGR clear codes and they come right back any suggestions.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:04 PM

There is a very common problem with early Pacificas and several other year models of other Chrysler cars and vans that causes the codes P0032 and P0403 to set and its not due to a failing HO2S sensor or a bad EGR solenoid. It is in most cases caused by a bad ground to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid. The ground you need to check, at least on the Pacificas, is the G100 ground located on the left frame rail below the battery. Make sure its clean and tight with no signs of corrosion. They are known to break and come loose.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Default 08 Pac Po403

Originally Posted by MikeWhy
There is a very common problem with early Pacificas and several other year models of other Chrysler cars and vans that causes the codes P0032 and P0403 to set and its not due to a failing HO2S sensor or a bad EGR solenoid. It is in most cases caused by a bad ground to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid. The ground you need to check, at least on the Pacificas, is the G100 ground located on the left frame rail below the battery. Make sure its clean and tight with no signs of corrosion. They are known to break and come loose.
Thanks very interesting, My 08 4.0l throws this code pretty often. I was running economy fuel at 87 octane. I noticed when I ran a tank of premium at 93 octane it came on less often but only one tank so far, maybe just a fluke. You mentioned early PAc's and a ground issue could the ground you referenced still be a problem in an 08 Pac? Or should I have the converter replaced as was recommended by dealer at the tune of $1200. Thank you in advance.

Tim

Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Tim,

When we first started researching our issue on the '04 Pacifica, my wife's car, we immediately replaced the EGR, which came complete with the new EGR solenoid already attached. This was a nightmare job, for sure, regardless what other people will tell you. And we did so only to find that the exact same symptoms persisted: codes P0403 and P0032, very rough idle, dangerously powerful surges when sitting in traffic or at stop lights, and occasional stalling, then running just fine once moving again - as long as SOME throttle was being applied.

My wife was convinced that the root cause was carbon build-up, so she would run super unleaded, and add seafoam into the fuel, and the symptoms would noticeably decline in frequency and severity... until that stopped helping. (Yes, I am aware that in order to clean carbon build-up using seafoam, it has to be added to the intake, and not just to the fuel, I just hadn't had time to do that yet, nor did I specifically think she was right, but it bought me much-needed time to observe and research.)

Eventually we started having other issues pop up that seemed oddly reminiscent of a ground issue I had had on my F250 mud toy. So I started doing research about specific ground issues, and voila!

There it was! Right under the battery mount, where I stated in my first reply.

Unfortunately, however, fixing the ground issue did NOT resolve the NEW issues, which ranged across multiple unrelated systems, and reported as low voltage. What had actually happened is that the alternator had begun to fail. I can't tell you if the ground wire disconnection was partly to blame, but from what I know of electronics, it certainly could have been.

The reason I went into so much detail is not for the sole purpose of telling you what I had to deal with. It was to hilight how easily something so simple as a bad ground wire can mimic other very serious - and potentially very expensive - failures.

So to answer your question, yes, absolutely. Get a wiring diagram of the complete wiring harness for the specific year model of your vehicle. Visually verify that every single ground wire is connected to where it's supposed to be, make sure the contact points are not corroded or loose - even if you have to disconnect them to see, and if you can't find one, don't assume it's good and move on to the next one. Make SURE your grounds are grounded!

In fact, because of the issues I have personally had with grounds, I will be checking mine for things as simple as burnt out bulbs.

This is very likely one major area that many "professional" shops use to multiply revenue. Don't forget that the horror stories you've heard had to come from somewhere. And unfortunately, it has been my experience that MOST of them are TRUE!

One more question for you though, Tim... What are the specific codes you're getting from yours? Are there other symptoms, aside from rough idle?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MikeWhy
Tim,

When we first started researching our issue on the '04 Pacifica, my wife's car, we immediately replaced the EGR, which came complete with the new EGR solenoid already attached. This was a nightmare job, for sure, regardless what other people will tell you. And we did so only to find that the exact same symptoms persisted: codes P0403 and P0032, very rough idle, dangerously powerful surges when sitting in traffic or at stop lights, and occasional stalling, then running just fine once moving again - as long as SOME throttle was being applied.

My wife was convinced that the root cause was carbon build-up, so she would run super unleaded, and add seafoam into the fuel, and the symptoms would noticeably decline in frequency and severity... until that stopped helping. (Yes, I am aware that in order to clean carbon build-up using seafoam, it has to be added to the intake, and not just to the fuel, I just hadn't had time to do that yet, nor did I specifically think she was right, but it bought me much-needed time to observe and research.)

Eventually we started having other issues pop up that seemed oddly reminiscent of a ground issue I had had on my F250 mud toy. So I started doing research about specific ground issues, and voila!

There it was! Right under the battery mount, where I stated in my first reply.

Unfortunately, however, fixing the ground issue did NOT resolve the NEW issues, which ranged across multiple unrelated systems, and reported as low voltage. What had actually happened is that the alternator had begun to fail. I can't tell you if the ground wire disconnection was partly to blame, but from what I know of electronics, it certainly could have been.

The reason I went into so much detail is not for the sole purpose of telling you what I had to deal with. It was to hilight how easily something so simple as a bad ground wire can mimic other very serious - and potentially very expensive - failures.

So to answer your question, yes, absolutely. Get a wiring diagram of the complete wiring harness for the specific year model of your vehicle. Visually verify that every single ground wire is connected to where it's supposed to be, make sure the contact points are not corroded or loose - even if you have to disconnect them to see, and if you can't find one, don't assume it's good and move on to the next one. Make SURE your grounds are grounded!

In fact, because of the issues I have personally had with grounds, I will be checking mine for things as simple as burnt out bulbs.

This is very likely one major area that many "professional" shops use to multiply revenue. Don't forget that the horror stories you've heard had to come from somewhere. And unfortunately, it has been my experience that MOST of them are TRUE!

One more question for you though, Tim... What are the specific codes you're getting from yours? Are there other symptoms, aside from rough idle?
Thanks for your quick and detailed response. This 08 pac has 187,000 miles on it. Original plugs to my knowledge, bought used with 103,000 on it. I have no symptoms really other than the code P0430 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold ...bank 2. Never stalls never rough idle, no drivablity issues at all. I do notice that once the code is thrown and the light is on the fuel economy seems to be lower than usual. It has the original timing belt also. I would like to get one more year out of it but this code is concerning. I will take a look at the grounds as you have suggested. I suppose a set of plugs couldn't hurt at this time either I am sure they are pretty bad just based on the mileage on them.