Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction

Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Default P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction

2005 Pacifica, 123,xxx miles. Error code P0480, Cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction. Now that I know what the code means, what do I do next. I have already done a search and it only turns up what the code is. Looking for advice on how to correct the error code. And no I don't want to put black tape over the light .

Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Well my friend.....Today is your lucky day.....

I just finished this identical issue this morning..

Above your radiator is a plastic "SHELL" with 2 10mm bolts, and 6 phillips screws, ...Remove it.....Now look down on the bumper framing, there will be a black box with an aluminum heat sink on it...Disconnect the box's electrical connector terminal #4 is a thin "Brown/Violet" wire.

Reach under the left front fender and disconnect Connector c3 from PCM (It will be the third one up from the bottom, and it has a white insert)...Check continuity from Connector C3, terminal 6 (With the locking tab facing up looking into the connector, 6th hole from the top right) and terminal 4 of the fan relay connector. If continuity is present, reassemble and ground terminal 4 of the relay and observe the fan for operation. (I assume you have already checked all the fuses ..Right??)
If continuity is not present, remove the left front headlamp assembly, and look at the Gray connector on the plastic housing behind the headlamp....(Connector C105)....You will be looking for corrosion at the "Engine side" of that connector.

Post back.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Thank you for the advice. When I did the scan, I also reset the fault. When the light comes on again I will follow your instruction. By the way, very good instruction, very detailed. I am sure I will be able to follow them.
I have not checked the fuses. I've noticed when I have the climate control set to automatic low, there seems to be a damp feel to the air. If I have it set to automatic high, the air seems dry. Does this have anything to do with the error code?

Thanks Bill

Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Probably not.

Does the rad fan work???.....

If the code is intermittent, I would go straight for the rotted connector theory first.....

Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Light came back on today. Followed your instructions and at first I thought you wanted the grill removed, realized you wanted the shroud over the radiator removed and you have to remove the 6 screws and 2 bolts to remove the shroud. The shroud is secured by plastic push whatsmacallits (technical term). I’ve ruined one trying to remove it. So, do you have a suggestion on how to remove the plastic push things or should I just break them all and get new ones? I’ve stopped for now as I realize I will probably want the entire day to do this job. Again, thanks for you help.

Thanks Bill

Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Open the hood.... The top edge of the Grille has 5 or 6 phillips screws holding the plastic "SHELL" , and just above the inner edge of the Fascia is one 10 mm bolt on either side... I usually dont remove the grille itself, just pull it toward you slightly, enough to get your hand in there.

I dont recall Push pins, but if you see them , they must be there. Either way, you can bust em' off, and replace them, or ......

Are these flat pins, or the ones with the raised center insert......If theyre the ones with the insert, grab the center with a pair of pliers, and pull the center out. that will release the tension on the pin, and allow it to be lifted out. When youre done, put the pin in first, and push the center shaft back in., the other flat ones, you can buy the removal tool, or , I usually just fish a pair of wire cutters under the edge and Yank on them.....But I have a bin full of them at my disposal, you do not...

If you break em', dont be overly concerned, as the screws and bolts will securely hold the shell, until you can find replacements....They dont need to be chrysler replacements, but rather ANY 1/4 inch Pushpin will work.

No..Nothing is going to fall off of your car due to lack of pushpins.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM

RELAY

Closure Panel

AWW DAMN....THERE ARE PUSHPINS..........SORRY..

Chrysler calls it a Closure panel....

I tried to find a pic of C105 connector, with no luck, but if you remove the drivers side headlamp assembly...2 8mm bolts on top, and wiggle it out...It will be the Gray colored connetor clipped to the plastic panel behind the headlamp.

I’ve stopped for now as I realize I will probably want the entire day to do this job. Again, thanks for you help.
It looks and sounds much more intimidating than it actually is......so stick with it....Just a note....ANYTHING with a FAN CONTROL DTC...is capable of causing an overheat.....I wouldnt trust driving it until this is rectified.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-19-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Djinn,

Thanks for your help I had quite the adventure today. Those plugs are really hard to unplug and plug in. Had continuity between C3 Terminal 6 and the fan rely terminal 4. Plugged C3 back in. Is there a positive way of knowing if the plug is secure, does it click or something like that?

Ground terminal 4 on the fan relay, nothing. Fuses were OK. What would be my next step be?

Last thing some how I managed to knock off the connector for the washer fluid container, the one on top of the bottom sensor (I think it is some type of sensor). The fluid goes threw these hoses. How in the heck do I get these back on? So now, instead of one problem I now have two.

Thanks Bill

Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Default Old topic, same problem

Ok guys, working through the same P0480 on my '06 as I had in my '04 Pacifica. Faulty relay cured my '04 and so I went to replace it on my '06, hoping it was the same fix since time was a bit short today. Chiseled off rivet and installed a Dorman relay as dealer is closed weekends. Still no fans and cant clear code. Getting late and wasn't up to disabling veh for wife trip to work by pulling headlight and such. I did jump fans and they both work. I haven't gone any deeper as I will need a bigger window to work with.

Reading one of the last posts, it gave a pretty good way to check the wiring integrity. And can I assume that if there is continuity between relay pin 4 and C3T6, the PCM is faulty?

Is there many other possibilities besides relay, wiring, or PCM?

Thanks for rehashing an old topic.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Default Found...kinda

Great help guys. Traced the Brown/violet wire from relay to pcm via the connectors. had continuity from relay to C105, lot it to C3, T6 at pcm. I haven't ripped into it to trace the wire out but closing in. Good thing it isn't too hot yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction