Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Have this same problem and same code, I'm ready with the tools and DMM to test this circuit today any advice on this.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 PM

do you need to take the front bumper cover off the car to change out this relay? I just fixed one with a front bumper reinforcement that got hit right smack in the center of the reinforcement and bent it in. I am almost betting it knocked out this relay. Can i put a dorman relay on this car (06 pacifica)? Customer won't want to buy Chrysler one, if we can help it. The relay is the one riveted on the back of the bumper reinforcement, correct?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am having the same issue with throwing a P0480 code. Pulled the connectors and have continuity, C105 looks good. How do I ground the #4 relay after connecting everything back up to see if it runs? I'm assuming it won't since everything seems to check out but you never know. What would be the next step?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Forgot to add that I'm blowing the #13 fuse as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 PM

After checking the relay, which seemed fine I started poking at the fans to see if one had seized. Sure enough, one of the blades had spun completely off its driveshaft and fried the motor.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:17 AM

I wish someone on the site could make this a sticky and have it permanently posted somewhere here, as I think seeing this P0480 code is a common issue many will face.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Yes, it seems very common.
I've had this issue for a month now.
I tend to buy cars that have a lot of info on forums because it saves me soooo much time.
But girlfriend wanted/needed a Pacifica again
I get a panic attack just walking by the thing.

I have good fans. Bought Doorman relay, didn't work.
Went to Advance Auto Part, tried their (BWx or something) relay, didn't turn fans on with AC on for 3 min.
Fuse #13 good.
Thick wire pins (1 and 2) have 12 volts. When jumped (pin 1 and 2) radiator fans don't go on; are they suppose to?
Pins 3 and 4 (thin wires) no voltage when car and AC on.

Anybody solved this problem?
Any one have a wiring schematic for fans?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Reach under the left front fender and disconnect Connector c3 from PCM (It will be the third one up from the bottom, and it has a white insert)...Check continuity from Connector C3, terminal 6 (With the locking tab facing up looking into the connector, 6th hole from the top right) and terminal 4 of the fan relay connector. If continuity is present, reassemble and ground terminal 4 of the relay and observe the fan for operation. (I assume you have already checked all the fuses ..Right??)
If continuity is not present, remove the left front headlamp assembly, and look at the Gray connector on the plastic housing behind the headlamp....(Connector C105)....You will be looking for corrosion at the "Engine side" of that connector.
rad fan relay pin4 and PCM pin6 connection have continuity.
Fans don't turn on.
shorted pin 1 and 2 of relay connector rad fans don't turn on.
with relay connector attached to relay grounded pin4 of relay connector, rad fans don't turn on.
pins 1 and 2 have 12 volts all the time
replay connector pins 1 and 4 have 12 VDC when the car is on, whether the AC is on or not and the car is cold.

What am I missing here? I tried two new relays already.

Last edited by jimmy154; 07-01-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Radiator fan connectors all have 12 volts when measure with respect to the battery.
(2) blue/green (pos) are 12 VDC
black/green and brown/green (both neg) are 12 VDC

Relay connector is 12 VDC across pin 1 and 2 all the time.
1 and 3, all the time too I think.
1 and 4 are 12 VDC when the car is on.
Not sure what the deal is with pins 3 and 4.
I would think 4 is ground and 3 is signal or vice versa, to turn the rad fans on, but it's not turning out to be the case. At least from my measurements.
Then I would think if I short pins 1 and 2 that the rad fans would turn on, but also not the case.

What am I missing?
What is the best way to proceed?
Anyone know what the relay pin wires are?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Jimmy154, sounds to me if the measurements you give are correct, the problem that you have is you have lost the ground at G-104 to complete the circuit. I would suggest opening the wireloom, trace those 2 black/green wires to their grounding point which is the forward grounding point forward and under the battery box, re-splice, clean, or
whatever to make sure they are grounded. This suv is noted for this problem of losing grounds, and techs just changing parts to try and fix those problems and cannot get them repaired.

Quick Reply: P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction