Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica '04 Coolant Overheating/Front Fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Hello, similar issue with my 2008 pacifica. Both rad fans don't work and engine overheats. Supplied 12 volts directly to fans and they both run. Checked all possible fuses with multimeter and all fine. I replaced the relay riveted to the bumper but still neither fans spin when engine is hot and/or A/C turned on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ericlaptonight
Hello, similar issue with my 2008 pacifica. Both rad fans don't work and engine overheats. Supplied 12 volts directly to fans and they both run. Checked all possible fuses with multimeter and all fine. I replaced the relay riveted to the bumper but still neither fans spin when engine is hot and/or A/C turned on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You should look for a sensor that the computer uses to turn the fans on. engine coolant temp sensor. I think you will find it close to the thermostat housing but i may be wrong. try turning on the a/c and see if the fans come on/ they should.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

the temp sensor is just an input to the pcm to tell the PCM to turn the fans on if your temp gauge inside works the temp sensor is working fine.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:36 AM

I actually already replaced the cooling fan switch/sensor a week ago and both fans now work, but it did not solve the problem, engine still overheats. Could it be the water pump now?

Thanks for the replies!!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ericlaptonight
I actually already replaced the cooling fan switch/sensor a week ago and both fans now work, but it did not solve the problem, engine still overheats. Could it be the water pump now?

Thanks for the replies!!
The next thing i would change would be the thermostat. be sure to get one from the dealer there more reliable.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 PM

I need help with my 2006 pacifica. The cooling fans will not come on. I replaced the cooling fan relay but the fans didn't come on.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 PM

Same thing happening to my 2004 Pacifica AWD. Went to gas stn earlier and the heat wasn't blowing in front but was in rear.. Few hrs later got in the car to go to walmart and it overheated!! I'm freaking out. Need advise. Am a single mom on a very tight budget this is my daily driver and have only had for a month. I yi yi. Pls help. Matt.ashknippenberg @ y a h o o. Pls help me. The local service center wanted $100 just to diagnose problem!!! Omg. God bless.. Hope to get some real answers soon!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by shwn_mthws
I need help with my 2006 pacifica. The cooling fans will not come on. I replaced the cooling fan relay but the fans didn't come on.
This time of year the cooling fans won't come on much, if at all. They are not supposed to run all the time. They are controlled by the engine computer and only come on when certain conditions require that they come on. If the car is not overheating there probably is nothing wrong. If the car is overheating then the fans could be part of the problem.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ashleyfultz
Same thing happening to my 2004 Pacifica AWD. Went to gas stn earlier and the heat wasn't blowing in front but was in rear.. Few hrs later got in the car to go to walmart and it overheated!! I'm freaking out. Need advise. Am a single mom on a very tight budget this is my daily driver and have only had for a month. I yi yi. Pls help. Matt.ashknippenberg @ y a h o o. Pls help me. The local service center wanted $100 just to diagnose problem!!! Omg. God bless.. Hope to get some real answers soon!
Sorry, we can't do anything about your single motherhood status or your budget here, this is a car site and we all have our own personal problems. As for your cooling system problem, check the level of antifreeze in the system. You may have a leak. Low coolant level can result in both poor heater output and overheating. If it's down, have the system pressure checked to see if they can find the leak. It could be something as simple and cheap as a bad radiator cap or as complicated and expensive as a blown head gasket. Somebody's going to have to actually get in there and look at it to figure out where the problem lies. The car is over 10 years old and things will be cropping up.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
OPERATION
The solid state radiator fan relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal.

I am new to this site but am familiar with controls of this type from owning/repairing vehicles produced by the ex-spouse of Chrysler. My brother-in-law's 2006 Pacifica recently had fan control failure while en route from Disneyworld back home to Maine. Fans wouldn't operate with AC turned on and coolant temp. at 230 and above. Old school mechanic diagnosed a bad relay, ordered one and plugged it in (trying to ground the new relay by touching it to the bumper support) but the fans still would not operate. So he got them on their way by completing the fan circuit on the connector that plugs into the fan relay. Since I assume that grounding may not be necessary (the riveted connection is for heat dissipation, not grounding, correct?) and the necessary conditions were met for fan operation, have you ever run across inoperable fans due to a defective PCM? Thanks for your help. Mark

Quick Reply: Pacifica '04 Coolant Overheating/Front Fans not working