Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica '04 Coolant Overheating/Front Fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks. We had checked the fans and they were working. It turned out that there was some problem with the wires so we fixed those. Now the fans work however, it continues to overheat and pops the radiator hose off. The coolant is also leaking. I suspect from all the times it's overheated. I'm going to take it to the shop. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Default Bad fans

I have a 04 pacifica im having problema with the radiador fans. The fans only work with a/c on but if i turn it off fans wont work and it starts overheating. What can be happening

Old 10-04-2016, 04:34 PM

There are many possible causes for overheating, inoperative fans being one of them. The fans are not supposed to work all the time, but they should come on before actual overheating occurs.
Things to check:
Proper level of coolant.
Proper mixture of coolant.
Radiator not obstructed externally with debris (leaves, etc.).
Radiator not obstructed internally.
Radiator cap operating properly.
Thermostat working properly.
Water pump working properly.
Radiator hoses clear.
Head gasket not gone bad.
Engine computer (which controls the fans) working properly.
Fans working as they should.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Got out of my 2007 Pacifica with 190K miles and noticed the 2 cooling fans would not shut off! Took to mechanic and he tested the fuses and he said it is most likely the computer that tells the fans to go on (by this I think he means the relay on the front bumper/radiator support on driver side of radiator)...

At least he pointed me to the fuse so I could unplug it every time I got out of the car so the fan cut off....

Next I head home....unplug/plug various times through driving for day....and let the fuse remain unplugged overnight.

In morning I plug the fuse in and fan starts to go on but immediately stops....And now I have zero fans spinning....

Will try turning AC on....So far it will overheat....

My guess is either:

1) Relay on front bumper behind the grill

2) Wiring problem

3) The fan assembly that has a motor attached to it (bad motor in fan)...

Will update when fixed....But for the knowledgeable techs would a bad relay cause the fan to stay running forever? Cause that was initial problem...And now they will not go on....

Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Well, what a nightmare for me, but I think Dorman relay ($40 at O'Reilleys) fixed issue...with AC fans kicked in on 30 seconds...With revving engine got fans to kick on...Still haven't taken it for an official test drive.

Since I don't even know how to change windshield wipers here are the problems I encountered:

1) Easy unbolting the 1 bolt (13mm) and unplugging the relay...But of course somehow sliced my hand. Anytime I touch anything I get sliced up!!! Hate working on cars.

2) I go to re-bolt the new relay and it just doesn't feel right. It feels really tight...Make it like a 10th of a turn and drop bolt....Can not find it at all....Crawl underneath...Blast the front bumper in every spot...Spend 25 minutes raging trying to find the bolt.

3) Go to PepBoys to find similar bolt....Long story short 30 minutes pass and none of their bolts work...Eventually the employee comes out and he peeks in there...I blast the bumper...And it magically is in front of his eyes.

4) Rest is easy...But 1 slight problem..The original bolt (which is why it felt funny in first place) is not going to pass through the hole on the relay for the dorman sensor...It's an easy solution for a handy person...And the guy at PepBoys simply drilled the hole to make it slightly larger so bolt passes through.

So really it is a 5 minute job for someone skilled...For me it took 3 hours!

Advice: When you remove bolt match it up with the new relay...Make sure it passes through that hole...You will probably have to drill it slightly larger.