Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica 2006 Chime

Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Question Pacifica 2006 Chime

I have owned a 2006 Pacifica 3.5 since new. Right after I bought it (months) I would hear a chime while driving. Just about once a month. Like an engine light came on or something, but nothing. Went to dealer, they drove it, no chime but re-installed the seat belt software. Thought that was the end but a few months later, while driving, "Chime" and nothing. No idiot lights, no nothing. The dealer this time re-installed the whole software for the car. About a month or so later while driving, "Chime" and again nothing. This became the joke with my wife and I for the next 7 years. We would be out and "Chime" and I'd say there goes the monthly mystery chime. Well, one day I am driving and I see a radar trap and look down to see how fast I am going (30 mph) , just as I look at the speedo, it drops, on it's way to zero, and "Chime!" then right back to 30 mph. Huh. So, now I watch the speedo much more closely and I have noticed that on occasion, (speed makes no difference, 30, 40 50, whatever) I'll see it start to drop and the Chime goes off and then it resumes right back to normal.

So, This mystery chime now seems to happen more and more with it even chiming at a stop light (zero MPH) once. Maybe now 1 or twice a week. I was think maybe EMI from a failing diode in the Alternator was messing with the speed sensor. But, like I said, I have had this chime since day one. The car runs perfect and I have done all the required maintenance and more including cat convertor, O2 sensors, (the car chimed, Check Engine light came on, O2 and Cat were bad) belt, rotors, pads, tires, trans filter, everything. I am wondering if this is from a loosely connected speed sensor (bumpy roads tend to make it chime) or just a failing speed sensor period that is taking it's time but getting worse. Any ideas? (91,230 miles)

Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

the chime is a warning of some wort look at you seat belt or anything on the cluster that is not normal .

Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 PM

An easy way to rule out the Seat Belt Chime... Go into the Dash computer settings and set the Seat Belt Chime to "off"...

If you get no more chimes after disabling it, then there is something wrong with the seat belt system.

If you still get the chimes, then it's not the seat belt system.

Cheers!

Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you for your replies. I had the seatbelt software re-installed (years ago) .......Still I didn't know that the chime for seatbelt could be turned off and I have been through that menu settings many times. I will check again. Please remember in my original post, that when the car chimed, the speedometer would fall then resume it's correct speed indicated. I did however get a hold of a deep scan software to check for "hidden" fault codes. I found none. However, I did discover my radar detector was making some EMI noise in the electrical circuit of the car. I have always had a radar detector plugged into the keyed side of the battery. (off when the key was turned off) and after a lot of years, the unit failed. I drove 3 months without a radar detector and as I was thinking about it, didn't hear the chime. I did get a new high end detector in December and now I hear that chime every other day, hence my post on this. I am wondering if the detector is causing the speed sensor not to communicate with the computer due to line noise. Maybe that is far out but I am going to run without it for awhile to see.