Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica AWD overrun clutch front seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Pacifica AWD overrun clutch front seal

04 Pacifica AWD. Wife ran over a sleeping bag which wrapped itself around the driveshaft and inbedded in the front seal of the overrun clutch that attaches to the rear end causing a leak. The local Chrysler dealer has been unable to identify the proper seal which is on the front end of the over run clutch. Now they are telling me I have to replace the entire over run clutch unit. Can't believe someone doesn't know who manufactured this unit and what is the proper seal.
I have the factory repair manual for this car and the only mention of the AWD is in the listing of the types of fluids and capacities.
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Gary

Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Default RE: Pacifica AWD overrun clutch front seal

Gary,
Has your dealer called Chrysler directly to inquire about the seal? Can you try another dealer?
Have you asked over on pacificaworld dot com?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 AM

I would be amazed if that seal is a unique part to the Pacifica AWD unit. More probably, it is a standard part, picked out of a catalogue by the component designer.
Shaft seals in general are specified by shaft diameter, bore diameter and seal thickness.
I would bet that a transmission rebuilding shop would be able to find and install a proper seal after taking those measurements.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.
I'm stold by my mechanic that our local Chrysler dealer called to the larger dealer in Huntsville and they were unable to help. Also told that the dealer had contacted Chrysler tech and received the answer that they would need to replace the entire unit.
I'm with you on the fact that there should be nothing special about the seal and that it is an off the shelf item to meet a spec. Called my mechanic and asked to retrieve the old seal so I could chase one down while in Huntsville. Apparentely his helper in haste of cleaning up threw the old seal away (oh well?) He did provide me with measurements based on the diameter of the input (2.7500" OD) and the diameter of the yoke shaft (1.9400 ID). The depth to the shoulder was 0.5". I remember looking at the seal after removal and would have guessed it was about 3/8" wide (I didn't pay a lot of attention since at this point we didn't know Chrysler wouldn't come through with the part.) I ordered seal from an industrial supply house with the following specs. 2.75" OD, 1.938" ID, .360" wide. I think this will fit since the seal sets flush with the outside of the overrun clutch housing, will know Monday when it comes in. Will let you know how it turns out
Again thanks.
Gary

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Hope it works out for you Gary.. If it does, Maybe you can give us a part# and model ot the seal you purchased.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Picked up the seal - a SKF #19387. It came with a quarter inch flange on the seal preventing it from going into the housing. A friend put it in a lathe and removed the flange. Seal went in staight away. Have only been driving two days but so far so good. Seal cost $20.85. Sure beat paying Chrysler $459 and tax for the entire overrun clutch not to mention labor to install. If it starts leaking I will let you know.
Gary

Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Great report Gary, thanks for the update and lets hope things stay dry!