Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Default Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457

I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica with some kind of EVAP system leak. I'm getting codes P0455, 0456, and 0457 and the "gascap" reminder on the odometer display. The gas cap is brand new so I'm pretty sure its not leaking. I've checked all of the places suggested in other posts: the hoses under the air filter box, hoses going to the purge solenoid, and hoses going to the charcoal canister and they are all perfectly fine. It seems like it would be a pretty big leak to get all three of these codes plus the "gascap" indicator so I can't figure out why its not easier to find. Does anyone have any ideas on where else to look for a leak?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM

I had the same prob on my 05 and it was the hose on the fuel pump. The passenger side pump sits at a angle and pulls on the hose so the plastic broke on top. Had to drop 400+ on a new pump.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rdiddy
I had the same prob on my 05 and it was the hose on the fuel pump. The passenger side pump sits at a angle and pulls on the hose so the plastic broke on top. Had to drop 400+ on a new pump.
It's not the pump that's the problem, it's the hose that goes across the top of the tank. Over time it shrinks and gets shorter, then it breaks off the nipple on the pump. The only way to make it fit again is to force it. If they didn't modify it, it will happen again.

(not an "official" modification either)

Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM

I finally broke down and decided to check the fuel pump. The nozzle on the pump had broken off just like other people have reported. Its the nozzle that points up towards the front of the car, it had cracked right off. I was able to reattach it for now but I suppose I'll have to buy a whole new fuel pump and come up with a way to attach it so it doesn't break again.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Hi DKats and Rdiddy,

How do I get to the pump, is it something I could do on my own with little tools? What typs of tools would I need? How do I go about modifying the tubing or hose? I really need detail instructions, thank you for helping.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Default need instructions

Originally Posted by DKats
I finally broke down and decided to check the fuel pump. The nozzle on the pump had broken off just like other people have reported. Its the nozzle that points up towards the front of the car, it had cracked right off. I was able to reattach it for now but I suppose I'll have to buy a whole new fuel pump and come up with a way to attach it so it doesn't break again.

Please post detailed instructions on how I could get to the pump and would a standard car jack be enough do the job?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM

I have the same problem here with my 2006 Touring Pacifica. I took it to my mechanic and they replaced the gas cap and the canister purge control valve. They hooked the lines up to a fog machine to visually see where the leak was and determined it was the gas cap and the canister purge control valve. After driving just over 50+ miles the gas indicator came on again and after about 100+ miles the engine light came on again. I need to tell my mechanic what to look for so I don't go blowing $$$ for parts and labor that won't fix the issue. Did I just blow $$$ that wasn't supposed to be fixed? I have a state inspection in a few days and if I can't get this thing fixed I wont be able to drive my car do to the fact that I need a passed inspection for my renewal tag! HELP!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Tim, it sounds like replacing the cap and valve were a waste of money. You probably have the same problem with the fuel pump nozzle. Here's how to fix it. First, you need to have an empty or near empty gas tank. Either drain the gas out or drive around until you are on empty. You don't really need to jack the car up, that way the fuel tank can rest on the ground when you loosen it. The first thing to do is remove two bolts that hold the back end of the muffler and exhaust pipe up. let it lower down and rest on the ground. Next you need to remove the screws around where you fill up the gas tank to loosen the pipe. Next you need to disconnect the fuel tank itself. There are two long metal strips that hold the tank to the car, one closer to the driver's side and one closer to the passenger side. remove the bolts and bars and let the tank down to rest on the ground. It might help to have a jack to support the tank while you are removing the screws. The top of the fuel pump sticks up out of the top of the tank on the passenger side. You will see several nozzles and hoses connected to the top. The problem one points up towards the front of the car. The plastic nozzle itself has probably cracked. Here is where you might have to get a little creative. Somehow, you need to reattach the nozzle and hose to the fuel pump in such a way that it will not break again. The inherent problem is that the hose is not long enough and it pulls on the nozzle which over time leads to it breaking. In my case, the plastic nozzle had broken off completely and I had a hard time reattaching it. I got some plastic tubing (about 6 inches long) and was able to connect it to the opening on the fuel pump with some epoxy. I then attached the broken end of the niozzle to the other end of the tube so that it would attach like it normally does to the original tubing. The extra 6 inches of tubing was long enough to correct the shortened tube pulling on the nozzle. I put a bunch more epoxy all around the connections to make sure it was air tight. It has been several months and the check engine light has not come back on and I have not had any problems. Sorry, I did not take any pictures while I was working on it, that would have been helpful.

It is a little bit difficult to do on your own but if you are a decent DIY'er you can do it. If you take it to a mechanic they will probably want to replace the fuel pump which could be several hundred dollars. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM

Dkats,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Replacing the canister purge control valve did eliminate the large EVAP code but I was still getting the other two codes. Turns out the the hose that connects to the top of the gas tank had a deteriorated O-ring and that is where the other leak is happening causing the other two codes. Problem is even with an o-ring kit, we could not find one that fits and the part for that hose is on such a back order that it would take a month or so to get the part in. The mechanic was able to modify the o-ring and reduce the leak to the point that it falls under the 0.9 threshold to trip the codes. Now I have a new code popping up for the catalytic converter. Put some Sea Foam in the gas and hoping that clears that. We shall see.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Default metwo

Threw the CEL - checked codes with a mechanic (needed an inspection) he said nothing wrong -probably gas cap (??)

Put on new gas cap - aged the computer and got inspection (yea)

Threw CEL again and now get "gascap" on odometer.

Sounds like I may an issue Fuel pump hose linkage.

I am going to get the code(s) again -

I did remove the battery tray - had cracked battery and mucho corrosion. I pulled a hose off of the bottom of that housing/tray – it made a whoosh (release of vacuum) I think the hose in question is connected to the cruise control. BUT to be sure does anyone know if that hose could be part of the EVAP system?? I am trying to remember if the CEL and the battery tray removal were coincident…

I will pull the code(s) today and add them in.

Thanks for the reply.

Uno Mas – if it is the Fuel pump since the part is unchanged is there a solid fix to prevent a future occurrence longer hose? Clamp glued to tank to eliminate stress? Something else?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Pacifica EVAP problem: codes p0455, p0456, and p0457