Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Passenger side windows/locks don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Default Passenger side windows/locks don't work

I'm new here having bought an '06 Pac the first of the month. She had 112.5K miles when I bought her. I do enjoy how she rides and drives. I have also looked into purchasing the FSM for her. The car drives just fine. There are no signs of lights/gauges flashing that I've read about in searching. There aren't any codes stored. Everything works except for the problems I've described below.

The issues I'm having are both passenger side windows don't work. This is either from the driver master switch or the individual switches. Both driver's side windows work. The only power locks that work are the driver's door (thankfully) and the rear hatch. The door unlocks/locks with both the remote and the driver's and passenger's side lock switch. Also the passenger door courtesy/puddle light doesn't work. The passenger side power seat works as do both front and rear speakers on the passenger side. The door ajar light indicates when any of the doors are open. It does this for the driver door along with the odometer coming on. For the other doors it does so only when the key is in the ACC or ON position. Is this normal operation? Does it sound like there is an issues with the front door module, wire harness or BCM issue?

I've checked for voltage at the both the front passenger door window motor connector and the courtesy light connector and found 0 VDC. I've checked all the fuses/relays. Battery voltage is 12.6 static and just above 14 idle (I don't recall exact). The cables don't get hot just what I would consider normal warm. I've disconnected the NEG battery terminal in hopes that a module just needed to reset. I've cleaned both terminals. Doing a search through the forum i found a few ideas. I've removed the battery and checked the battery POS cable on the bottom of the main fuse panel. It wasn't loose but I do plan on doing the suggested repair with the supplemental POS cable. All the connections were clean with no signs of corrosion. I haven't checked them for continuity in the connectors yet.

There is some type of module mounted to the surround of the BCM. The mounting point is broken so the module just sits inside the BCM surround. Does anyone know what this is? I plan on getting another surround from the salvage yard.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

check your grounds for those accessories that do not work. Also, get a wiring diagram and check the continuity between the wires to check for broken wires. Get someone else and have them push the button on the main switch and check to see if you have voltage to the motor on the right side. To me sounds like a plug is not all the way plugged in or there is a broken wire in the mix, maybe the main switch is bad...

Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I've thought about the grounds being an issue since it's specific items that don't work. But it also lends itself to a broken/loose connection. Would the driver door module affect the passenger doors. I will check if there's voltage at the passenger window motor while using the driver's door switch. I did find one oddity in checking the front passenger door lock. With it unplugged the interior lights don't work correctly and the door ajar light stays on. Yet I had not voltage at the plug. I forgot to mention in the first post that the passenger door mirror doesn't work either. This could be realted but then it could be just a bad mirror motor.

I really do need the wiring diagrams to not only locate but to trace the circuits.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM

I am not sure on the Pacifica but I have heard it both ways...some do and some don't affect the rest. If you are into cars or plane on working on them the tool of choice I use for things like this is called a Powerprobe. It has saved my a** plenty of times.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Thank you again Shep for the suggestions. From what I understand the driver's door module controls the circuit paths for both driver front and rear doors along with the mirrors. The same for the passenger door module. If I understand it correctly if the module fails to communicate the switch motion with the BCM nothing happens. This even includes the puddle courtesy light on the door. Now this may or may not be part of the window issue in the lockout switch on the driver's panel doesn't light up red (active) or green (inactive). Now this could just be the leds that are out.

I miss the days when you had direct circuit paths from power to switch to unit. Adding a BCM was good but then you add in individual modules on the doors to complicate matters. And it takes the DRBlll to talk to all of them. It's such a joy having a disfunctional family.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 PM

I wish I could edit my last post as to progress (or lack thereof). I went to the salvage yard (LKQ) and bought a couple driver's door and passenger door control modules. I'm still left with the same problem. Though the driver's door switches all light up as they should. The lockout is green when inactive and the mirror switch is brighter.

I've sent a message to a seller on Ebay on trading my complete FSM set for the '07 Avalanche I had for a complete set for my Pac. Hopefully he will go for the deal since they include the Avalanche, Suburban and Tahoe (Yukon and XL).

There are either broken wire(s) somewhere or a lose connection somewhere between the BCM - Fuse panel and the passenger side. Would the DRBlll give any indication of this issue?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM

No, not for the wire. It could Ping your BCM but that is about as far as it will go. Like always, check your grounds. These things ground problem plague every unknown problem on these. Check for back voltage on the ground also in case there is a short

Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Thank you again for the insight Shep. In doing some more troubleshooting and searching on here I found the problem. The door harness apparently either runs across the floor behind the front seats (or across roof then down B-pillar). The problem was a broken wire (medium red with either a light gray or white tracer) in the bundle that runs along the door sill and then up through the A-pillar to the door jam. It's a constant power feed for the passenger courtesy/puddle light and the seat. The passenger seat would work but only with the key in the ACC or ON position. Now everything works for both the front and rear passenger doors. The other posts I found similar issues in were from 2007 by ashabel and braddm. One mentioned the dealer had repaired a loose connector under the right scuff plate.