Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Starter won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Default Starter won't turn over

I recently encountered a problem where out of the blue, my engine won't turn over in my 2006 Pacifica Touring. I checked all the usual obvious suspects.The vehicle has power to everything and relays clicking when I turn the key, but no clicking at the starter motor. I got underneath to jump the starter to check the solenoid. Starter turned over easily. Battery good, starter good, relays and fuses good. I figuerd it had to be something in the key switch or something related. I removed the key cylinder assembly with the start switch and SKREEM module which are both attached to the key cylinder assembly. I took the key cylinder assembly apart to find a broken "actuater pin" which is a small cast zinc or aluminum piece inside the key cylinder assembly that turns the start switch when you insert and turn the key. A small part of the tip of the actuater pin broke off preventing the start switch from turning to the start position. To my surprise, this part was actually available on line at partsgeek.com for $34. I could not find it locally or at any other parts supplier. The part was actually fairly easy to replace. If you have the part, it will take about an hour or so to replace. The key cylinder assy comes out easily with the removal of 3 mounting nuts after you remove the trim from the under the steering column. You will need to disconnect the battery and remove the lower knee air bag which is easily removed by removing 4 screws that hold it in place. Disconnect all the wire assemblies from the key cylinder assy and the air bag and remove the cylinder assy. You can take the cylinder assembly inside to replace the actuater pin if it's cold outside and then reinstall the assy back in the vehicle. Put the air bag and trim back on and you're back on the road. I just thought I'd post this as it is an easy fix to a common "no start" problem that may have someone scratching their head when they find out the battery and starter are fine. Probably a $500 repair if you take it to a dealer...$35 and an hour or so will have you back in business. I hope this helps someone whom otherwise wouldn't know what to do!! I love this forum and it has helped me many times over with common problems. One of the best tools in my tool box!

Last edited by grbullets; 12-31-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Good post, and congratulations on the repair.