Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

"Service Tire System Soon" message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Default "Service Tire System Soon" message

I have an early '04 Pac., and had this message appear on my display on the way back to PA from FL recently. When I returned home, I had the tires balanced and rotated, equalized the tire pressures, and retrained the TPS correctly with a magnet. Everything seems happy, but I can't clear the message. It's really annoying not being able to utilize the other features shown in the display because of this. Does anyone know how to rectify this? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Usually the message goes away with the retraining. If the horn honked on all 4 wheels, you may be off to see your local dealer.

I would double check that tire pressures are all where they should be and try another retraining (just to double check that everything SHOULD be right) Since you've got an early '04, if you haven't replaced wheel sensors yet, you may be due for new ones...they are 5 years old now and the batteries may be getting weak. That could be triggering the message!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the advice, friend. My "early '04", was actually one of the first Pacificas built. I bought it in May, '03, so there's a good chance the problem is related to weak batteries. I'm not wild about paying upwards of $300 just to find out, but I don't seem to have many options. I'll try balancing the inflation again, and re-train the TPS one more time before giving in. Thanks, again.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Have been having this same issue for 8-12months, now. I've been to a couple oil-change places, and asked if they could fix it while changing the oil, and have been told by a couple it would fix itself after a couple miles of driving after the oil change. Didn't happen.

RE: this line..."retrained the TPS correctly with a magnet" - how do you going about doing this?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

visit the dealer

Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM

Quick update on the "STSS" message: I heard from a spokesperson at Chrysler, and he told me the batteries in the TPS were designed to last for 100K miles. I'm currently at 83K, so they're likely the culprit. When I'm feeling rich, I'll visit the dealer and have the sensors replaced.

Regarding Philipm34's question re: how to retrain the sensors, it's really very easy. First, make sure all tires are filled to the correct and uniform pressure. This may or may not include the spare, as it may also have a TPS in it. Next, get yourself a fairly strong magnet. I use two of them which are about 1"x2"x1/4" each. With the car parked and the key in the "ACC" position, hit the Menu button until "Retrain Tire Sensors" appears. Select that again, and it will take you around all four corners of the car in sequence. As I recall, the sequence is LF, LR, RR, RF, but the display will show you where to start for sure. Simply place the magnet(s) around or over the valve stem of the sensor it directs you to, and wait for the horn to chirp. This usually takes about 10 secs. The display will take you to the next sensor to reset, so follow its lead and continue until you've done all four tires. You have 60 secs. to get from one wheel to another, or it will abort the process, and you'll have to start over again. When you are finished, the display will confirm that all sensors have been retrained. You have to do this every time you rotate the tires for some reason, even though the low/high tire pressure warning doesn't indicate which tire is at fault. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Thx qckslvr!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Has anyone actually fixed this problem. I am experienceing it right now, took it to the dealer. They are stumped too. They called Chrysler and were told that my car should have the TPMS display up in the overhead console, and it is in the gauge cluster. Chrysler then told my dealer that they could not help any further because my car had been altered. WTF!!! There is no way my car was altered to have the display moved from the overhead console to the gauge cluster.

Jay

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM

My understanding is that the early models ('04s and maybe '05s) have the TPMS tied into the dash display, while later models have the display in the overhead console. If your model is an early one, it would seem your dealer is misinformed.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Default Service Tire System Soon

Originally Posted by Qckslvr
My understanding is that the early models ('04s and maybe '05s) have the TPMS tied into the dash display, while later models have the display in the overhead console. If your model is an early one, it would seem your dealer is misinformed.
Chrysler/Fiat needs to learn more about their vehicles, as our 07 Limited has it's TPMS readout located in the dash (we have Nav system)! You press the button (located on the Nav system controls) labeled "step" to toggle through to the TPMS readings. Don't know about Pac's w/o Nav system (possible button on CPU - located behind front bumper !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Service Tire System Soon" message