Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Should we buy a Pacifica? Tips for new buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Default Should we buy a Pacifica? Tips for new buyer?

Hi all. My wife spotted a Pacifica on the way home at a dealer and she just loved it. Not sure what year yet but I see they were only made for 4 years (?).

This weekend we're going to go take a look and if it's nice, we're going to definitely pick it up .

Chryslers are new to us. We've gone from Chevy drivers to Caddy riders and now may possibly break into the Chrysler area. Are there any things I need to look out for or be aware of?

(Why do I ask? Because if I had done this before I bought the Caddy's, I'd have made MUCH smarter moves when going to purchase) Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Can't speak for any but the '07 touring FWD. That's what we have 4.0L engine 6 speed. If you buy an '07 check that the service bullitens have been taken care of. This year had a torque converter problem. We had ours corrected under warrantee and no problems at all since. In fact our Pac has taken us from South Dakota to the Gulf, to the Pacific coast and to Alaska (twice). Don't know why they stopped making the Pac's. They put out a Dodge that is similar but smaller and plainer with a smaller engine ??????????? Good luck on your purchase.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM

If it's a 2004 run away.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
If it's a 2004 run away.
LOL. I was literally just reading that on edmunds when your reply came through. Just called the dealer. It's a 2004. Are they really as bad as they say in that year? You've experienced one? Thanks!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM

I have an 08 Touring Signature Series. Now has 25,000 plus miles with ZERO problems. I had a 03 Town & Country prior that I put 92,000 miles on. The only repairs made to that car outside of brakes, tires and oil changes was a water pump and the HVAC control. I am very pleased with the Pacifica and my experience with Chrysler and their dealerships has been very good.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 AM

I have a 2006 AWD Touring 3.5L V6 and the only major component that was changed was the upgraded bushings to polys to eliminate the clunking sound. Only downside of owning one is the fuel consumption.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 AM

Thanks folks. I'm a bit more confident about making this choice. We'll be stopping by the dealer either Monday or Tuesday and I'll drop my update. It's great to see that there isn't a laundry list of bad things to look out for. The biggest issue I've heard of is gas consumption and normal maintenance. You guys are a big help

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dre2kx
LOL. I was literally just reading that on edmunds when your reply came through. Just called the dealer. It's a 2004. Are they really as bad as they say in that year? You've experienced one? Thanks!!!
Yes..lol Look at my sig. I've worked on them since day one

The 2004 and 2005 would not be my first pics. The 2004 was first year of a new vehicle, which we all should know by now is not a wise choice typically. They were plagued with problems not to mention the electrical system is a hybrid of two totaly different technologies CAN BUS and PCI BUS. Total PITA and a really bad idea. Go after 2006 and later and you should be OK. I like Pacificas and would drive one. One more mention, there have been problems with the tranfer units in the AWD. Getting a cheap service contract for the powertrain is ALWAYS a good idea when buying used. Factory service contract is better but don't pay full price. Make them come down.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM

We've finally joined the Chrysler family!

Thanks for all the input. By avoiding that '04 last year, we ended up with a very low mileage black '05. Fully loaded with every possible option except the phone dialing features. Picked it up last night and traded in my Caddy. It's a huge step up. I can't believe they stopped making these!

We already got stares as we drove this last night from people in far more expensive luxury SUV's

If there's anything that we need to look out for as an '05 owner (preventative maintenance or otherwise), please do let me know. Otherwise I'll be trolling this forum to learn more.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

TNTech, can you please see my post "invalid key & FOB" and help me out?

Quick Reply: Should we buy a Pacifica? Tips for new buyer?