Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Squeak in rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Default Squeak in rear suspension

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica.
The back passenger side has a real bad squeak.
Almost like a bad spring.
The rear is comprised of a shock, along with a seperate coil, and a couple anti sway bars.
You can easily make it squeak by rocking it back and forth.
I have lubed EVERY part back there.
IF I take off the shock (no easy task), and put the wheel back on and rock the vehicle, the squeak seems to be gone.
So.....my thought would be a bad shock.
My worry is that I buy the new shock ($350), replace it, and still have the squeak. I am afraid that the shock itself is not squeaking but causing something else to squeak.
The shock is no small item and cannot be compressed when off the vehicle. So I cannot test it by itself.
I just don't have $350 to throw away.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Default RE: Squeak in rear suspension

Well....Just an update in case anyone else has this problem.

Had a garage switch the rear shocks.
Still have the squeak.
So, I saved $350, but now to break everything down to find the noise.
At this point, it just about has to be a bushing in one of the control links or control arm.
But, it only does it with the shock in place.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Squeak in rear suspension

Just a thought...have them check the torque on your hub nuts if the car is AWD. If so, try greasing the splines and re torquing the hub nuts. These have been notorious for noises sounds people think are elsewhere.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Default did you ever find problem i have same squeak

did you ever find the problem i have the same squeak and it is sending my wife over the edge i have lubbed everything and cannot find the problem PLEASE HELP

Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 AM

A squeaky suspension is bound to squeak while the car travels up and down on a rough road.And rear suspension squeaks can be due to a lot of things particularly on an old car like yours.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Had not one of my ML. But are you sure of their suspension. Some of the back door creaking or crunching sound as if the suspension. If it's a suspension, they are security may be able to report their case by saying that began during the warranty period and ask them to correct N / C MBUSA has seen before with other items.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM

We have this same problem, on both sides. Spent $300 having the dealer try to diagnose it. They said I had to spend $2,000 on new knuckles to get it to go away. Yeah right....

It comes and goes. It sounds like an old baby carrage coming down the road.

Jay

Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM

I realize this post is old, but I've searched and searched for this same issue and I thought I'd post what I have found with my 04 Pacifica.
I called our local dealership on this, and one of the parts guys said his mom had a Pacifica with the same problem. He said they went through it over and over to find the problem and the solution they found that stopped the squeak was to replace the rear spring and the 'pan' (I don't know what this is called) that it sits in. Apparently there is a some kind of a corrosion issue between the two pcs of metal. Somewhere around 120000 miles, the squeak begins and the only way to fix it is to replace both parts. I don't know if I believe it 100%. I asked the parts guy how it held up and he didn't know because they sold the car. I'm going to try to put a piece of rubber in between the spring and the 'pan' and see if it stops the squeak. My wife is going crazy listening to it. I have previously pulled each separate joint apart and the squeak moves from one joint to the next. We couldn't isolate it. I talked with the dealership after we did this, so I figure it can't hurt to try and separate the two and see if it works. I'm not interested in spending the $1000 it is going to take to have the dealership order and install new parts, only to have the problem again down the road. We'll see...hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Let us know how it works. I have th exact same problem. With a stethescope it sounds like it is in the passenger lower control arm. I lowered the subframe and removed the spring. Cleaned up the pocket and even greased it for fun. Sound is a bit better but still nasty. Next will be a grease gun with a grease needle on the end to try and sneak some into the bushing one at a time.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Nothing new here. Problem stills exists and I've yet to get to the dealership to have it repaired. May be the only fix and I guess - on their dime - if it doesn't take away the problem, they can fix it again.

Quick Reply: Squeak in rear suspension