Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Default starting problems

I have a 2004 pac. and the other day i jumped into the vehicle and it wouldn't start, but the interior lights all work and the power windows. Tried to boost it, nothing, then i put in a battery from another car, same thing. The starter would click really good, so there is power going to it. I pushed it out of the driveway so a friend could tow it to a garage and the dam car fired up, drove it around town, turned it off about a dozen times and fired up each time. And now the same thing i stopped at the house and now it will not start, just a clicking from the starter. I am not a mechanic so i was hoping one of you fine people can give me some advice before i call a tow truck and take it to a garage, thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

the ground wire that goes to the starter has been known to wiggle loose

Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Default 2004 Pacifica won't start

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
the ground wire that goes to the starter has been known to wiggle loose
Hey Chrysler tech, I moved up to Virginia from Georgia for my job last year - good to see a Georgia connection here!

Anyway, I saw your suggestion about intermittent no-crank problems on the 2004 Pacifica. Would this perhaps be the cause of my problem-I can put my Pacifica into neutral and it will start. Then it will continue to start from the park position for a few days...then no crank, just a loud click. I can put into into neutral and it will start again.

I really don't think it is the TRS (at least I hope it isn't). What is your suggestion for running a new ground lead from the negative battery post to the terminating end on the engine block or transmission bell housing. (I haven't traced it out yet).

Thanks,
Chris
Lynchburg VA

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM

I really don't think it is the TRS (at least I hope it isn't).
Sorry to be a killjoy....But if it starts in neutral..It most likely is a TRS issue.
There is also a Ground cable that runs to the left front corner of the trans, that gets "GREEN AND FURRY" and can cause issues. It is Visible thru the l/f wheel well, (It may be easier to remove the L/F wheel)

Just for giggles....With the car in PArk, Next time it doesnt start...Look at the PRNDL indicator on the dash Cluster......Which "BOXES " are lit up????

Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

just as he said more then likely a TRS issue

Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM

That is the strange thing...none of the PRNDL lights are lit when t gives the loud click. It still starts up just fine the majority of the time in Park.

I have the left front wheel off now, looking for the ground connection to the trans housing. I hate that they wrapped the neg battery cable inside the wiring harness. I may have to unwrap the find the other end.