Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

temperature problem

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Default temperature problem

Hi, i have a 2007 Pacifica.
I replaced the water pump,thermostat , and temperature sensor.
now sometimes while im driving the temperature gauge goes all the way to hot and the check engine light comes on but the car is not running hot and when i shut it off and restart it the lights go off except the engine light.
Help me please!!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:33 PM

There are many possible causes of overheating. The radiator could be plugged either internally or externally, you could be low on coolant or have air in the system, a radiator hose could be collapsed internally, the fan(s) could be not working, the radiator cap could be bad, the coolant mixture could be bad, the coolant passages could be plugged, the thermostat could be bad or installed upside down, blown head gasket. I'm sure there are others that haven't come to mind right now.
If the check engine light is on, find out why. Get the codes read. If that doesn't solve the problem, you are going to have to systematically go through the system and rule things out as you go. When replacing parts to try to solve the problem, start with the cheapest things first.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Hey Johnny. Did you ever figure this out? Mine did this to me twice. Hasn't done it lately but Im gonna need to check this out before I take a trip. The gauge went all the way to hot and I stopped to check the engine. No sign of overheating at all. I even squeezed the hoses and there was no pressure. Don't know..

Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Default Pinpointing

For those of you following this thread, I have figured out the following:

Since temp indicator gauge was marking hot but car was not indeed hot, I figured it could be the temperature coolant sensor so I had it replaced.

This did not fix the problem. The car was still doing the same thing after a few minutes of use.

I had noticed that the A/C really didn't cool that very well (being that its winter) even when we set the A/C to high heat.

I figured that it could be the heater core not working properly since if I'm correct this part is used to heat the car when heat settings are engaged.

I found out that the temp light will not go on if you are not using the heater so in essence, if you are just using the A/C on cool or even if you don't have the A/C on you are ok.

This leads me to believe that something connected to the heater core is sending a false alarm to the coolant sensor that the car is overheating.

So Im thinking of replacing heater core..

A question on another website was addressing the same issue and suggested the Oil Cooler. Heres link on that Chrysler Pacifica Questions - heater core problems - CarGurus .

Hope this works...

Old 01-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by lunaticpro
For those of you following this thread, I have figured out the following:

Since temp indicator gauge was marking hot but car was not indeed hot, I figured it could be the temperature coolant sensor so I had it replaced.

This did not fix the problem. The car was still doing the same thing after a few minutes of use.

I had noticed that the A/C really didn't cool that very well (being that its winter) even when we set the A/C to high heat.

I figured that it could be the heater core not working properly since if I'm correct this part is used to heat the car when heat settings are engaged.

I found out that the temp light will not go on if you are not using the heater so in essence, if you are just using the A/C on cool or even if you don't have the A/C on you are ok.

This leads me to believe that something connected to the heater core is sending a false alarm to the coolant sensor that the car is overheating.

So Im thinking of replacing heater core..

A question on another website was addressing the same issue and suggested the Oil Cooler. Heres link on that Chrysler Pacifica Questions - heater core problems - CarGurus .

Hope this works...

I mean I was noticing the A/C wasn't heating so well. (not cooling as previously mentioned)