Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Timing Belt Replacement

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
~@~
Default Timing Belt Replacement

I'm going to be replacing the timing belt & water pump in my '05 Pacifica 3.5L.
Looking for tips, advice and things to look out for during R&I. Pictures would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 PM

I could be wrong, but Pacificas are equipped with timing chains.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

3.5 is a belt

Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
~@~
Default good info

Thanks for the link, I replaced it just fine. Took a couple tries to get the belt on with all my marks lined up. And I DID NOT loosen the rocker arms. simply lined up marks on cams to back cover marks and added white paint marker to the marks to make easily visible, marked the old belt with white paint marker at the cam marks and crankshaft mark. Transferred marks to new timing belt to ensure exact same number of teeth in between.Reinstalled making all marks line up EXACTLY as before. Had issue with the RH cam wanting to move off mark slightly. The cam also turned a 1/4 turn once making a clunk. Just used a breaker bar and socket to return to original position. Taking care NOT to make a full revolution with it, but to rotate opposite the way it just turned. And DO NOT stick your fingers in the cam gear to try and hold it. It won't work and it hurts when it moves ( got lucky and all fingers attached). Took the time to replace water pump as well while in there. removed air box, headlight and wheel well shroud for easier access and unmounted power steer pump and reservoir no lines disconnected just move aside gently (will be some resistance)

now to find that broken motor mount and replace it

Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm about to do the timing belt on my 04. I have some dumb questions regarding the procedure, I've never done a timing belt before. Mileage is at 107k.

1) Do I need to remove any of the serpentine belt pulleys prior to removing the cover that accesses the timing belt?

2) I believe the water pump is located behind this cover as well so I bought one thinking that I should replace it while I am in there since it's original and I only want to access this area once.

The only info on the forum about changing the timing belt seems to start after you have removed the cover. I just want to make sure I do this part correctly as this is my wifes daily driver so once I start tearing into it I need to finish it the same day, need to avoid hiccups.

Any other tips?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

buy a service manual it will walk u through it

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM

I can't find a manual for the Pacifica, Haynes makes one for every Chrysler except the Pacifica. Got any links to what you are talking about? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks I'll check those out.

I've heard that the actual shop manuals require a DRBIII scan tool for diagnostics, which of course I dont have. Is it the Service Manual that has information in it on how to complete certain jobs, like the timing belt?

I also found the online version of Chiltons has a Pacifica manual, I was thinking of subscribing to theirs. Has anyone used this?
http://www.chiltondiy.com/default.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement