Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Trans Fliud Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Default Trans Fliud Change

I guess I'm confused by the two Service Schedules. Schedule B says to change the fluid at 60K and Schedule A says no need to change the fluid. I have 82K on my 04 2wd PAC. I called two dealerships one said it should have been changed at 60K one said 80K. I took it to AAMCO and they said the fluid is fine but should be changed soon. They also recommended synthetic fluid for a higher price but it was an option. I thought ATF+4 was synthetic.
I live in a small two outside of Kansas City. The weather does get below zero and above 100 but not more than a few days a year. My wife drives the car and her normal drive is about 10 miles each way at highway speeds. When should I change the trans fluid. My normal has been standard transmissions so I am confused by the 60K or never difference.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Almost every car or truck that I have owned(all GM by the way) have recomended a fluid/filter change at 50-60k. Not a single trans issue in 6 vehicles. There used to be an old Fram commercial, "Pay a little now or pay a lot later", words to live by.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM

MOPAR ATF+4 is a synthetic.
My $.02 - The fluid does not wear out. No reason to change unless you have overheated it or it the trans is apart for some other reason.

And, from my post about 4 subjects down -

Direct from the service manual:

Mopar ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid)
when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red so it
can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle
such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not
permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition.
As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to look
darker in color and may eventually become brown.
This is normal. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that
may change with age. Consequently, odor and color
cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition
or the need for a fluid change
Edit/Delete Message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM

My 2¢ worth: The different schedules are for different uses of the car. Lots of short trips is considered heavy duty. Your description of your wife's use of the car is probably not heavy duty.
The peope at the instant oil change would change the fluid every other day if you let them, and at $60 a pop, why wouldn't they?
The guys at AAMCO would probably rather that you never even looked at the fluid, the better for their business.
On my cars, I change it at about 60,000. After putting 2 transmissions in our minivan, I decided that fresh fluid is cheap insurance. Have not had any transmission problems since adopting that policy, knock wood.
As to what fluid to use, that's easy, EXACTLY what the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends, nothing more, nothing less. Modern transmissions are very sensitive to the characteristics of the fluid, viscosity, slip, shear properties, etc. No matter how great the fluid is, if its the wrong stuff, it can cause problems.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

well I guess I put my info in as well hey goldsmi plz dont give this kinda info out any more unless u have a manual or something in writing to say "The fluid does not wear out"
dont post stuff like this it is bad info and totally wrong.
What is tranny fluid? it is just another form of oil with red dye color. Oil will in fact brake down and loose its properties in one form or another. It will also get dirty from the clutch material coming apart being used. Go back and read your service manual again I have it off chrysler web site that all techs use change the fluid at 60k.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM

*That Chrysler Tech is worth his weight in gold ......... even if his "blinking" Avatar continues to be freaky*

Old 03-08-2009, 01:18 PM

CT - Hydraulic fluid does NOT wear out. It can get contaminated or damaged from overheating. Under normal operating conditions, a 60K replacement is nothing but a money-grab.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Default Lubegard Products?

I was just curious about this line of transmission additives. I wouldn't consider it but due to a TC issue, this could be the band-aid that buys me a little time.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html

Old 03-08-2009, 02:55 PM

MOPAR ATF +4 is a synthetic material. At the risk of getting dumped on by the 'experts', I don't think it's necessary.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

sarg u dont like Achmed? ever heard of Jeff Dunham? or Walter?? look it up on u tube funny funny man seen him live real good.

back to the chat
not a single mention of hydraulic fluid was mentioned in what I said nor what U said hydraulic fluid also only acts as a fluid to move something else it just moves the piston from one place to another right?? nothing in there to brake down
part 2
At what point do u consider it not to be normal look in every owners manual,service manual dealer or non every online post about service and U will see that 60 is the norm. ATF+4 has synthetic additives yes but is still Dead dino skin hehe made from the same crude oil as gas,motor oil,plastic and so on.
U tell the man that I am building his tranny at 125k with the pitch black fluid burnt up front pump and clutches and it wont move if he will make sure he changes the fluid and filter at 60k again.
U go right ahead and do what U want but make sure u dont post anything on here about ooo man I haft to replace or rebuild my tranny because I will have a big I TOLD U SO waiting for ya.

Quick Reply: Trans Fliud Change