Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Transmission "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Transmission "Clunk"

My 2004 Pacifica is also making the clunk sound..pretty much exactly like MIPacifica04 explained . I also have a "grrrr" sound that lasts a few seconds when taking off from a stop, and occasionally when accelerating at slow speeds (5-10 mph). I think that sound might be due to a bad engine mountas well. Does that sound like a possible reason for that "grrr"??? (It's a low noise and you can feel it when it happens...so I'm thinking engine vibrations are coming through a bad engine mount)

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
moe

thats possible.you can tell if it feels like your engine in moving to much when accelating.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM

hey i own an 04 allwheel drive i was getting the clunking noise and when i turned left hard it would stall i told my wife to get in the car while on and turn left and when she did i saw sparks comeout from the bottom lifted the pac and i saw the front motor mount was broken and the power cable for the starter was shorting when i would make left turns so maybee you can check that

Old 03-09-2008, 08:18 PM

I actually have that same problem even though i have the FWD, they replaced teh motor mounts the rubber part got loose thats holding onto the frame so taht gave it a little shift and give that clunking sound. My pacifica is a 2004 with 80000 miles on it. I hope this helps you guys out. The only thing about motor mounts they are 250 buks a piece plus labor. I needed 2 so that set me back 650 (one was cheaper)

Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Can anybody tell me how to replace the front motor mount on a AWD 04 pacifica
Is it a involved repair or can a average joe handle it?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM

My 05 pacifica has been doing this for the past 2 years and also burning oil like my daddy is a Sheik....I say that everyone with either of these problems need to start calling Chrysler the dealerships just blow you off after the warranty wears off

Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
~@~

going to be replacing both of mine in the morning. will post with some info on the install afterwards.

2005 pacifica 140,000 miles
right rear abs sensor shorted
replaced idler pulleys (bearings shot)
control arms clunk
motor mounts bad (fluid loss)

Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
~@~

Replaced the rear motor mount today. front will have to wait till i have more time. the stud for the rear motor mount and the rack pinion bolts have all been sheared off at the frame. So off to the stealership i go for parts... Placed car on lift removed heat shield from above axle.remove nut attaching mount to frame (mine was gone) removed nut attaching rubber mount to engine bracket. removed three bolts attaching bracket to engine while supporting engine with engine lift. lift engine remove mount while separating bracket and mount at same time. front mount requires front bumper and radiator removal.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM

I found some reasons for a transmission to clunk.I hope it will make some help.
*clutch plate (might have faulty springs that help to make it engage smoothly and absorb shock from releasing the pedal to quickly). *Could be too much slop in the gears. Excessive wear in the gears and universal joints causes them to be loose and can make a clunk when they slap against each other.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM

I have this same problem it is like the trans can't keep up with the speed to shift properly i was told that this is normal dealer said all mounts were good i hate when it does it has 51,000. miles on and has done it since i bought it our subaru does not do this if you get on the gas and let off real quick it should even out not jerk you might notice something as it catches up but not a jerk or clunk bad trans mount design or something dealer won't fix because when they want to replicate the problem it's on their parking lot and not street driving I had a hard time to convince them to fix the front end they said it was fine took it back three times and finally fixed front end, stabilizer bars tie rod ends, still makes some noise but i think it's that crappy plastic underneath dealers suck. I have the 3.5 non awd i love the way it drives although the little problems that suck.

Quick Reply: Transmission "Clunk"