Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Unable to pinpoint noise in engine bay

Old 09-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Default Unable to pinpoint noise in engine bay

Hi guys,

You may help me with this problem as I thought it could be the idler pulley and tensioner pulley (both replaced recently along with the serpentine belt thinking this was causing the noise). I had search the net for what could be the ADP (alternator decoupler pulley) but the videos I had seen are not close to the noise I get on mine.

Here is a link to the video I took and hopeful you guys can point me to the right direction.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...911_170419.mp4

Old 09-13-2014, 09:08 PM

If this was mine I would take the belt off and start it up and see if the noise is still there. This would tell me if it is outside or inside the timing belt cover. It could be a timing belt pulley or the water pump.That is if you did not do that already.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vanislepac
If this was mine I would take the belt off and start it up and see if the noise is still there. This would tell me if it is outside or inside the timing belt cover. It could be a timing belt pulley or the water pump.That is if you did not do that already.
So your car will start without any serpentine belt on????

Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 PM

I can definitely hear some power steering pump screeching. For the loud squealing, might be the AC condenser pulley. And for the low growl, my 98' Cirrus does the same thing. Haven't taken apart yet but I have a funny feeling its the water pump. If that's the case, its a somewhat long but straight forward job.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 AM

Yes your car will start, Better not let it run too long but long enough to find out where the noise come from.That should eliminate the serpentine pulley or the timing belt pulley.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 AM

Vanislepac, I understand what you are saying about removing the belt, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I always though the crank shaft pulley was stationary as it is controlled by the shaft itself (BTW my engine uses a timing chain). In my case (Pacifica 2007 3.8L) the noise is generalized to a specific area - power steering/alternator (both on top) /idle pulley (replaced and middle) and A/C compressor (bottom), but unable to pinpoint exact one. Another piece of information, the noise diminishes while driving and comes back when idle and increase when A/C compressor engages.

Thank you all for the responses.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:49 AM

I assume this was the 3.5, me bad. Yes it would be different with the 3.8, I just had the same situation on a client of mine, basically the same noise. The car was hot so I turned off the a/c, the noise was minimal and when the radiator fan started the noise came back,so I knew it was not the a/c . Ended up being a bad bearing in the alternator.But your right, it will be difficult to diagnose without the proper equipment. If you have a long screwdriver , put the handle to your ear and touch a NON MOVING PART of your alternator, a/c, water pump, power steering, or as close as possible to it, and listen to see if you can localize the noise. Good luck.