Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Very Poor Mileage - Can I Ask to Look at Anything??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Default Very Poor Mileage - Can I Ask to Look at Anything??

I have a 2006 AWD Touring which we love dearly, especially the heated seats this time of year...but can't afford the 10 to 13 MPG that we've been getting ever since we bought it with 9,000 miles on it. We've never seen above 16 on the computer or calculating it the old fashion way...even on the road. I reset the trip computer after every fill-up (or partial fill-up mostly).

We do mostly local driving, but it just doesn't seem right that any car should get this poor of mileage no matter how heavy it is.

I was wondering if Pacificas have a "learning" feature (similar to what I understand is onHonda Pilots that adapt to your driving habits) and maybe the original owner was a highway driver and maybe the fuel systemis notcompatible with my in town driving?
Is there anything I can askmy localservice departmentto look for? I've had it back twice and they say that this is what they get...But not according to this Forum.
Ihonestly can no longer afford to keep it.

Thank you very much.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Default RE: Very Poor Mileage - Can I Ask to Look at Anything??

There is a feture on the EVIC system that automatically calculates the the MPG. You switch to this feture and hold the reset button to reset it. I can't see that this feture would be more accurate than the "OLD FASHION" way tho. I average about 17 MPG with city and highway on an 2005.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Thank you...but believe me...I'm well aware of that pesky thing. I reset it eveytime I fuel up. AND...it's a constant reminder of how poor fuel economy I'm getting.
I usually wind up turning it to the compassbecause I constantly find myself looking at it and getting frustrated. It's my hope that one of these days when taking it on a trip that I will flip to it and it will show20MPG....I can only dream!
Thanks again for reading my whining!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:57 PM

When I drove from NY to NC I averaged 21.8 MPG so it really has a lot to do with what type of driving you do. If you drive mostly in the city your numbers will be quite despicable.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

I have a 2007 4.0L AWD. I get 18 around town and 24 on a trip. I am easy on the gas around town and I drive 73 on the highway. I have found when I drive 80, Mpg drops off significantly.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM

I have a couple of suggestions, one I doubt you will like. The fuel mileage you say is lower than most of the 2006 and below models. Before 2007 all PAC's has the 3.8 L or the 3.5L engines, and the 4 speed auto trans. They were not great on mpg, but as some have said at 65mph and right tire pressure with good clean air filter you should get 19 to 20 mpg, and 16 or better in and around town. So chech the tires and air filter. The suggestion I do have is to trade it in on a 2007 or 2008 PAC with the 4.L engine and the 6 speed auto trans. IF you get a new 07 or 08 they come with a LifeTime Powertrain Warranty, and you can get a Chrysler LifeTime Max Care Service Contract, and you coul be set for a very long time.
I too have been in a plece that everyone told me they got great, super MPG and I got squat. We had a Jeep Compass and were lucky to get 21mpg, we traded it in on the pAC and the PAC gets 22 to a high of 27 mpg. We are very pleased. The 2008 is the last year that the Chrysler PAC will be made so there are some really great discounts and dealers want to sell them out ASAP. Hope this helps.

farout

Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi
I'm new to the forum. I own a 2007 Pacifica touring AWD and get 16 - 17 local & 25 hwy doing 75 with cruise control (it does make a difference with cruise on). Have you taken it to the dealer since it should be under warranty still? also you can add the lifetime warranty to yours if you buy the chrysler extended warranty. I did on mine (I bought my '07 last may just before the started the free lifetime warranty) But I bought the added care lifetime with $100 dedutable for $2K. You can get the warranty through
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com which is a dealer in Mass. that gives a discount. My dealer here in New Jersey wouldn't match the price so I bought it from the Mass dealer. There's no difference where you buy it, all dealers honor it. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just found it by Google search and it's a good deal. If you go there and ask for a quote they give you a decent discounted quote, but as part of the process they ask for your email. When you go to process it & go to their "check out" window they as for a promotional code. Well if you check your email they send you a code, mine was worth an additional $185 off the price. When I asked my local dealer if they could match it, he said it was below his cost, oh well I went with the online one (also saved on state tax which the online site didn't charge.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: farout

I have a couple of suggestions, one I doubt you will like. The fuel mileage you say is lower than most of the 2006 and below models. Before 2007 all PAC's has the 3.8 L or the 3.5L engines, and the 4 speed auto trans. They were not great on mpg, but as some have said at 65mph and right tire pressure with good clean air filter you should get 19 to 20 mpg, and 16 or better in and around town. So chech the tires and air filter. The suggestion I do have is to trade it in on a 2007 or 2008 PAC with the 4.L engine and the 6 speed auto trans. IF you get a new 07 or 08 they come with a LifeTime Powertrain Warranty, and you can get a Chrysler LifeTime Max Care Service Contract, and you coul be set for a very long time.
I too have been in a plece that everyone told me they got great, super MPG and I got squat. We had a Jeep Compass and were lucky to get 21mpg, we traded it in on the pAC and the PAC gets 22 to a high of 27 mpg. We are very pleased. The 2008 is the last year that the Chrysler PAC will be made so there are some really great discounts and dealers want to sell them out ASAP. Hope this helps.

farout
Most dealer's inventory of Pacificas are pretty picked over. My dealer told me he was not allowed to order any more after 12/31/07

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Only suggestion I have is to have the EGR function checked. (I'm assuming that your motor has one, and thatthe PCM is not recording and storing codes.) A faulty valve can significantly decrease performance and mileage. They also commonly don't throw codes when they have partially failed.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Just some general info on our changing times... and how we are getting screwed....

The more Ethanol content they mix into the gasoline .... and it increases all the time .... the less mileage you can expect. So while some may think their vehicle has a problem ... it is in reality just crappier fuel being supplied.

Quick Reply: Very Poor Mileage - Can I Ask to Look at Anything??