Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Want to install...and some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Default Want to install...and some questions...

Hello everyone

I just bought a 2005 Pacifica and am wanting to install the factory Navigation System. It seems that the DVD player is there already as the factory CD/Changer does indicate that it does DVD, but what I do not have is the Navigation instrumentation (at least from what I can tell, I have had the car less than 1 day) and I am not quite sure what I need other than the actual instrumentation. Any info on what I need would be helpful, as well as (if available) links to where I can purchase the parts that I need, or if I take it to a dealer if they can do it.

I am also looking to install the DVD video screen, the one that comes off the roof. Anyone have any experience with this?

-Rais

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Welcome Rais...

It is almost impossible to do. You need the NAV DVD player (different from the movie DVD player) which mounts in the rear of the vehicle, you need to replace the instrument cluster with a Heads up display type(instrument cluster would have to be programed for your mileage), add the push-buttons next to the clock , nav antenna. It is no plug and play. Of the 2 forums I have followed since 2004 there is one maybe 2 guys that have done it. All the wiring may or may not be there. I wanted to do it at one time and the used parts back in 2005 were over $1000.

When I bought my 04, the dealer told me he could ad the NAV system that comes in the vans (its the RB1 nav radio) at a reduced price if I came back as this is an all in one unit. I have since sold the car and never had it done. Don't think he could have done it because the RB1 fits into the dash with a larger opening. Electrically it is plug and play but the dash would have to be modified. Some guys get crafty with fiberglass and can make these dash bezels look like a factory job. Maybe you should persue the RB1 and a custom bezel??. Maybe get the bezel off you factory radio and cut put the opening for the RB1?

As for the Screen up above, check seller MrCD1 on ebay. He sells all sorts of audio video stuff for Chryslers. You tell him your radio and he tells you what is compatible.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Hi Rais,

I have an '05 limited with factory Nav. We like it, we use it, but truthfully it is nowhere near as good as the $99 Garmin 205W we gave our son for Christmas. Plus, the portable unit goes with you in the rental, the RV, the friend's car etc.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

You might one to check into the pioneer z2, that one does everything you want and way more. I wanted to install one, but I have the factory Navi and would stop working if I did.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Personally, I think GPS is overrated. I have a portable unit but seldom use it as I very infrequently go any place I don't already know how to get to. And it doesn't always send you the best way. Mine doesn't know about construction closings. It once had me get off a freeway and then immediately back on. The exit was on the inside of a curve and I guess the thing thought it was shorter to take the ramp.
It doesn't seem to recognize the existence of streets where the speed limit is 25 mph, and will send you miles out of the way to avoid them.
I sure wouldn't spend a thousand bucks for one.