Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Wheel Hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Default Wheel Hub replacement

Greetings everyone, first time poster/long time lurker here.

I'm getting ready to replace the wheels hubs on my wife's 2007 Pacifica Limited and I have just a few basic questions. We recently had one replaced within the last 6 months as it failed totally. This was done by a shop due to time constraints and the labor and parts charge wasn't very attractive. They only replaced the failed hub and now it appears that the other is starting to go. Humming a little coming out of turns and such. I would like to get this replaced soon before it goes totally. She didn't tell me the first time and I rarely ride in her car.

How straight forward is this? I've replaced hubs in previous vehicles and fairly handy when it comes to fixing autos. My fear is that I'm not familiar with Chrysler vehicles as I've always owned Fords and there doesn't seem to be as much online information on this vehicle.

Do I need any special tools or will common hand tools do the job?

I'm sure I'll need a specific socket to remove the hub bolt, any idea what size it is?

Step by step instructions would be phenomenal if someone could provide them or a link to where they might be found.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM

I have not done this on the Pacifica either but looking at the manual it looks similar to other bolt-in hub/bearing assemblies. There is a note in the manual that says if you are having trouble removing the hub, you may need to pull the knuckle out and use a press on the bearing/hub. I have had mixed experience on such jobs (not a pro, but many DIY jobs). I did my '99 GM this week and the hub came out with a few whacks with a 5 LB. sledge. Other times we have beat on them and/or used the air chisel in an attempt to vibrate them out. We have used slide hammers as well. Sometimes it has been a bear. That is the one part of the job that would concern me a bit at home - if the bearing were being reluctant to come out. As to the spindle nut, the manual did not give a size but I'm guessing in the 29-32mm range.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM

I'm hoping things will be pretty straightforward. I do anticipate a little "persuasion" to remove the hub but that goes without saying living in a salty state like Ohio. I'll be sure to let some penetrating oil soak for a bit before giving it a go.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Wrong forum guy talk to chevy people