Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Will Resetting the Computer and Shift Patterns Help Gas Mileage?>

Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Default Will Resetting the Computer and Shift Patterns Help Gas Mileage?>

I bought a demo 2006 Pacifica Touring AWD in December with 9,000 miles on it.
I have not yet experienced the 17 MPG this vehice is supposed to get.
TheBEST wehad was 16.5 MPG, but this was onourrecent trip to Florida from Pennsylvania where I expected to seearound 24 MPGon the highway (as the sticker said). Fuel costs are killing me. I average 11 to 13(never above 13MPG) with the city/highway driving we normally do. But what makes me think there is something wrong is that we don't even get close to 20 MPG on the highway.
I had it back to the dealer several times, and am consistently being told that everything is OK and this is normal. But I can see from posts here that this is NOT normal.

I was told by a Honda Pilot owner thathis dealer reset the transmission's computer& shift patterns which greatly helped his gas milage. (But it wasn't until he cried "Lemon Law" that they were willing to dig into it.)
Is this an option with Pacificas?
Thank you very much,

Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Will Resetting the Computer and Shift Patterns Help Gas Mileage?>

I get 21.5 mpgout of my 07 awd (7K miles now) and I'd say 80% of my weekly work trip is highway. But I live in the suburbs of Chicago so construction sometimes brings me to a crawl. I have a 4.0L six speed. I hear the air filter is always a factor. Try replacing it with a new one and see if that helps. I'm not a lead foot but I'm not afraid to make quick passes on the highway.

I findthat the trip computer which shows mpg is more liberal than my actual mpg. I usually reset the "Trip A" mileage counter on fill-ups and then pull out the calculator. I take the number of miles and divide it by the gallons I just filled up with. So my mileage may be 408 and it took 19 gallons to fill up; 408/19 = 21.5 mpg.

The gas mileage issue is always a sore point. It's hard to argue around it. Local driving brings the mpg way down. Air conditioner also drags it down but not as much. Another factor is tire inflation. Make sure it's properly inflated. Your trip to florida should have definitley yeilded better numbers.

Last thing...at 60 mph, your rpms should be below 2000. Turn on cruise control, get to 60 mph andcheck the rpms. If it's above, then there might be an issue tranny not getting to thehighest gear.

My 2 cents...

Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 PM

I know this may sound like a stupid question but it seems to be the culprit on many occasion. Did you reset your average mileage per gallon setting? If you didn't, this is the problem! When you want to calculate your mileage per gallon you must first reset this feature otherwise it will calculate all the mileage since the last time it was reset and this will not be rewarding.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM
moe

Resetting the transmission (its called quick learning) will not help with gas milage.you can't beleive those stickers on the windows they only apply under base conditions like:a/c off ,blower off no power acc being used and rolling down hill,you see what i mean.I have heard this complaint for years.worse in winter when they change fuel mixture at pumps.did you try what pac bus said?moe