Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Wireless Headphone Help

Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Default Wireless Headphone Help

I have a 05' Pac and although we have head phones that came with the vehicle we have never been able to get them to actually work. We put the DVD player to headphone mode and it allows us to play the radio up front, but the kids hear absolutly nada! I would actually buy new head phones if i knew that I just needed new ones. Of course tried bateries and about 45 mintutes in pure frustration before a trip we took trying to get it to work, but instead had to listen to barney and blues clues all the way. Anyone have any idea what to look for and where i would even find new IR headphones?

Thanks, Billy

Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM

There are two types of headphones and one doesn't work with the other. I'm assuming that you bought the Pac used. Maybe the phones were missing or broken and they just gave you the wrong ones? Do a search for headphones on this site. It has been mentioned before. Otherwise I'm sure someone will chime in with more info to help you.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Billy,
I am pretty sure this is how it all goes. Assuming this is all stock.. installed from the factory, We have to see if the headphones match the screen/DVD. You say you press the headphone button on remote, do you see the headphone icon on the radio display?

if your screen mount (base) has a red strip of plastic (where the IR beams point to the rear seats), this would be an IR system and the headphones would look like this:

Ebay item 110366506345
http://tinyurl.com/d4vvta

Screen that mathced these looks like this (ebay item (370090219051)
http://tiny.cc/jQzNb

They have power on and off and volume switches only. I think they hold 1 AAA on each side.

The RF screen looks like this: (item 190254849540)
http://tiny.cc/SeVXO

The RF headphones have power , volume and Scan buttons (Ebay item 280325542845)
http://tiny.cc/cJx8s

Let me know what you have.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 PM

Mrfixit, First of all thank you for the quick reply. Checked this morning and we deffinetly have the IR version with the red strip of plastic on the Base and the head phones are the IR type just as shown in the Ebay picture. So i guess that is a good thing that they are both the same, but probably doesnt mean an easy fix to the problem. Also, when I push the headphone button on the remote I do see the headphone light up on the front radio display, then I can pick something else to listen to on the radio or sirius, but that is when the headphones are dead silent. The movie keeps playing, but of course the kids hear nada. Hope this helps to pin point the issue. If it was just one of the headphones i could understand, but neither of them are getting anything other than a soft bump tone when turning them on and no noise change at at all when switching to headphone mode on the remote. Thanks again.

Billy

Old 03-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Hmmm. So we cover all basis.. batteries are good and installed correctly? You do get a red light on them? Do you know anyone else with a PAC and DVD to test? Maybe you could go to the dealer and see if they have any PACs.. or maybe even any Chrysler that has DVD and an IR system. Heck.. maybe test them in a RF system just to make sure? This would be another way to check the head phones. IR systems will always have some sort of red strip that faces to the back so the headphones can pick up the signal. This is why I asked if the DVD changer was replaced because if it has an RF unit in , it won't send the signal to the screen. I think the DVD units look identical from the front so it is hard to tell unless you take it out and look at the part number and wiring diagram on top if the unit. I believe the RF units send the signal from the changer and the headphones can work anywhere in the car with these systems. Now that I bring this up.. you are testing these from the back seat? I remember once trying to test them while sitting in the driver seat.. does not work for IR systems! There is also a possilbility that the harness from the changer to the screen is the wrong one. There are many sources for error if the wrong components are used.

There is a possibility that the wrong DVD changer is in there.. meaning an RF one. Did you buy the car used? Do you know if the changer was ever replaced? Do you know previous owner if bought used?

I know a lot about this because it has been a common problem for 5+ years since Chrysler uses to different systems. I have read tons about this on several forums. I was able to then educate myself to make sure I bought the correct equipment for my Dodge Ram and Town and Country. I have 3 systems BTW.. of which they are all IR. Even when a seller says the unit is IR or RF you have to be careful as some of them get confused as well so Pictures and part numbers come into play.

I may be on the road the next few days so I am not sure if I will have internet connection when I arrive. So maybe a weekend project is to see if you headphones work on a different car.. then we can go from there.
Fixit

Last edited by mrfixit454; 03-25-2009 at 01:04 PM.