Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

what is unstable?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
No, cam and crank sensor will not cause a "no crank" condition. Not on their own anyway. MAYBE if one of them shorted and took down the PCI Bus it's possible, however not typical. The IPM could have a problem. It powers up MANY things. Check ALL of your fuses.
Nowadays when you flip a switch or press a button, it just sends a request signal to a module telling it to do something. Ignition switch just shows STATE of position and doesn't actually send current anywhere.
what are you referring to when you talk about the IPM?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tampafan1983
what are you referring to when you talk about the IPM?
The fuse box under the hood.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM

thanks TNtech I hadn't heard that term before.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Default 2005 PT Cruiser won't start/ doesn't crank

I have an 05 pt cruiser that won't crank it doesn't even make a sound like the starter is trying to engage. I checked all the fuses and relays they all checked good. I was told that it could be the neutral safety switch but I don't know where it is at, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by tampafan1983
thanks TNtech I hadn't heard that term before.
Earlier PTs had what you call a Power Disrtibution Center. When they went to CAN BUS in 05/06, they incorporated a TIPM, which is IPM and Front Control Module combined into one unit. An IPM can be unplugged and replaced, a PDC usually comes empty or it is included in the wiring harness. The earlier ones also had a fuse box on the inside, the newer ones do not.

What are you trying to fix?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

I have a 05 pt that won't start all the lights come on just won't crank. A family friend who use to be a mechanic said it could be a neutral safety switch which i then called autozone and they said that the 05 pt no longer has a neutral safety switch but rather a transmition range sensor that does the same job.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2005Cruiser
Hello, Thanks in advance for your help.

2005 PT Cruiser 2.4L non-turbo 5 speed standard. I drove it to work, it ran fine. I got in it to go to lunch and it won't crank. I hear the fuel pump presure up and the lights are good, but it will not tun over. I can jump from battery + to the starter solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. Turned the key to the run position jumped from battery + to solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. I replaced the ignition switch, no change.
1) How do I pull the codes?
2) Will a defective cam or crank sensor cause an engine not to crank?

Thanks

2005Cruiser. I am having the exact same problem what ended up being the final solution to your problem?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Earlier PTs had what you call a Power Disrtibution Center. When they went to CAN BUS in 05/06, they incorporated a TIPM, which is IPM and Front Control Module combined into one unit. An IPM can be unplugged and replaced, a PDC usually comes empty or it is included in the wiring harness. The earlier ones also had a fuse box on the inside, the newer ones do not.

What are you trying to fix?
I have an 05 pt cruiser that won't crank it doesn't even make a sound like the starter is trying to engage. I checked all the fuses and relays they all checked good. I was told that it could be the neutral safety switch but I don't know where it is at, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Default 2005 pt cruiser

Oh my gosh im having the same problem COULD SOMEONE PLZ HELP

Quick Reply: 05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank