Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2006 Cruiser running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:02 PM

Great info, dcotter, thank you. I've never done a coolant flush, nor do I have a way to properly handle the runoff from the process, I imagine it could come to be several gallons all told, and I don't figure that's something I'd want running all over the ground. I will look around for a breakdown of the procedure on youtube or something to see what I'm getting into on this. With the variables that could lead to problems, ie human error (air in the system, incomplete removal of flush water/chemistry, etc) maybe it would be worth it to bite the bullet for $79 and get a shop to do it. I'm all for trying it myself if it's feasible.

I went to Advance auto to buy another gallon of Prestone antifreeze today, and the guy at the counter said "for that?" and pointed out the window at the Cruiser. Then we had a small talk about Dexron antifreeze, and how it should not be mixed with regular antifreeze or it can turn into "mud" (his words) and really cause a problem. He then looked in his computer and did not see that the Cruiser called for Dexron, although he didn't seem 100% convinced it didn't need it. I have been buying regular green Prestone concentrate and putting this (mixed with distilled water) in the radiator, not knowing any better. And the bottle does say "good for all types" or something to that effect. So now I'm wondering if there is a problem in regards to this, because I have no idea what was in the radiator when I bought it in January.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myr18aepq8...20-49.jpg?dl=0

Here's a link to a pic of what's going on, coolant coming out when the engine is running.

Last edited by hoovied; 08-14-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

DEXCOOL IS FOR GM ONLY yes if you install that in any other car it will mud up. GM is the only company that uses it.

Need a side note I read "it was doing, but it was definitely coolant, mixed with AC condensation" You saw this on the ground pass side where the ac drain is at? if you did then you have a heater core thats leaking.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Yes, on the ground, passenger side. That's also where the recovery bottle is mounted. The pic link I posted showed coolant flowing out of the bottle. Here's a link to a video I had taken of it. You see the coolant flowing out as the engine is running. I pull away to turn the car off, and return to see some of the coolant spurting out and the associated smoke of the coolant hitting hot engine components. I'm fairly sure this is the problem with my coolant loss, just need to understand why it's doing this.

Video link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g1depum17...22008.mp4?dl=0

Please watch

Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

and you fill the radiator apart up correct and dont touch the over flow tank right?

Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 PM

That's correct. As far as the heater core goes, I'm not seeing any coolant leaking inside the passenger compartment at all. Occasionally I am smelling coolant when the air conditioner is running, I attributed this to picking up the smell of the coolant in the engine compartment. I've has 2 pressure tests done--would they have revealed a heater core leak? No evidence of coolant on inside surfaces (windows, etc) from coolant getting into the heat/cool system and blowing around the ductwork.