Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2007 pt transmission problems

Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Default 2007 pt transmission problems

Hello all. I have an automatic transmission problem with my 2007 PT non-turbo and was hoping someone here may have some insight.
My wife and I recently discovered that there was an oil leak and after taking it to a local shop that was highly recommended to us by our regular oil change and tire shop, we had a new oil pan and valve cover gasket installed. It was picked up yesterday morning and ran fine although when first started a puff of white smoke came out of the tailpipe. The shop told us that was normal and should clear up in a couple of days. Ok so far.
This morning as my wife was driving into work she stopped at a stop sign after driving for several miles (and stopping at a couple of stop signs before this one)and when she went to pull through the intersection it wouldn't move. She put it in reverse and tried it and still no movement. When I arrived on the scene I tried it in drive, reverse, 1st and 2nd gears and no movement. I put it in neutral and tried to push it off the road and it wouldn't budge. The car was able to roll in neutral when the engine was shut off. We had it towed back to the garage that did the gasket work and after several hours of waiting was told that his transmission guy thinks that it's the planetary gear. I've been reading alot of forums and reports and the possibilities are all over the place so I'm hoping have better luck here.
Hopefully you haven't had the same problem but if you have, know someone who had, or are a tech that did a similar repair,what was the problem and how was it fixed? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

usually if teh gears go out liek that u hear a big cluck or something. How about low fluid =) common thing

Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Nope the fluid is at the proper level. No strange color or odor. Acts like it wants to go forward or back when in gear but only moves a bit either way.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 PM

Modern transmissions are computer controlled. When there's a major failure, there's almost always one or more diagnostic codes stored in the computer. You need a sophisticated code reader to get to the transmission codes; any old parts store code reader probably won't be able to get deep enough in there to pick them up. If the shop has a guy pulling guesses out of the air as to what's wrong, they don't know what they are doing. If they didn't read the error codes in the transmission electronically, take it somewhere else.