Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Default camshaft position sensor

I just installed a new rebuilt head in my 2002 Pt Cruiser and had trouble starting the car. I got a P0340 Code and went to replace the sensor and noticed the new head was missing the target magnet on the camshaft and obtained one from the local Chrysler dealer. I replaced the camshaft sensor as well. Car will not start, when I un-plug the sensor it will start and give the P0340 code and will die immediately when I plug the sensor back in. How do I go about trouble shooting this issue? I am kinda stumped at the moment. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: camshaft position sensor

look at what u changed they could have given u a wrong head.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Make sure you haven't confused the connectors for the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. They look the same.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM

The casting numbers on the head matched up, no clue if camshaft is correct? Where do you find out correct lobe position. I hopefully haven't confused the crankshaft sensor with the camshaft sensor, I don't believe they will reach one another. I get continuity from the sensor to the orange/white wire (pin 1) is connected to pin 44, the tan/yellow(pin3) to pin to pin 33, and the black/light blue (center pin 2 of plug) to to pin 43 at the pcm. What other avenues do I need to try.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM

I wonder...
Chrysler changed the position of the crankshaft sensor from the front of the engine to the back somewhere around this time. (02) That required re-programming the computer to accept that the sensor was 180° out of phase with the rest of the system. Maybe they flipped the magnets on the camshaft sensor to minimize the re-programming of the PCM????

So if you got a head that was designed for the other crank sensor...??

I'm just speculating here, but maybe to need to double check that part number. Casting number might not reflect a part number change.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 PM

I am having the same problem. Except I re-worked the head. I am using all the original parts. What could be causing this problem.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Underneath the camshaft sensor are the target magnets it uses to sense the camshaft position. Take a look at that piece to make sure it's not cracked.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM

OK. The magnet was cracked on the back side so I replaced it. No help. I have ohm'ed out the wiring harness. No broken or shorted wired. Finally, I took it to a Chrysler Dealership to be analized on their computer. The following is what they reported; "No Cam Signal at PCM.", "Preformed DRB Test and Checked Wiring.Valve Timing is Off." I was told the intake cam was 3 teeth off. Is this possible? When warm, the car starts up and idles as soon as you hit the starter, and runs fine.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

I would have a hard time believing the car could start and run "fine" with the camshaft three teeth off of its proper position. One would think that the valves would be crashing into the piston and getting mangled up if it's that far off. BUT, if it's only the intake cam, and it's late in opening the intake valves, I suppose it could run without damage but not very efficiently. It's not a big deal to pull the covers off the belt and look to see if the timing marks are lined up.
As for the lack of a camshaft signal, you already knew that, the question is why? Maybe when the signal is that late, the computer assumes it's not there and shuts things down.
So you might want to have a look-see at the timing marks and determine whether the cams are properly lined up.
Let us know.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Thank you! I will check it again and let you know what I find. You guy's are a big help and I really appreciate your imput!!!

Quick Reply: camshaft position sensor