Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

camshaft position sensor

Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Make sure you haven't confused the connectors for the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. They look the same.
Hi! sorry for the grave digging but i am just curious what will happen if you incorrectly place the connector? What will be the identification that the connector is for camshaft position sensor? also for the crankshaft.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Go check your timing marks. With everything in time, your crank gear will be almost a half tooth past the mark and the cams will be perfectly in line horizontal to each other. It's very easy to mess it up if it's your first time doing one. This applies to all 2.4 and 2.0 liter engines.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 AM

thank you so much dude! youre a certified Chrysler Technician

Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by hallpearl
Hi! sorry for the grave digging but i am just curious what will happen if you incorrectly place the connector? What will be the identification that the connector is for camshaft position sensor? also for the crankshaft.
It's the coil and cam sensor that people sometimes mix up. When the wiring harness is routed correctly there is not much chance, but if it is not secured to the plenum there is enough slack and such it CAN happen. Both are 3 wire black connectors.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Casting numbers on the head matched, no evidence of camshaft is correct? How do you find the position of the right lobe. I hope have not confused the sensor crankshaft sensor camshaft, I do not think they will communicate. I get continuity between the sensor and the orange / white (pin 1) is connected to pin 44, tan / yellow (pin3) to pin to pin 33, and the dark / light blue (center pin 2 connector) to pin 43 on PCM.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by johnreet
Casting numbers on the head matched, no evidence of camshaft is correct? How do you find the position of the right lobe. I hope have not confused the sensor crankshaft sensor camshaft, I do not think they will communicate. I get continuity between the sensor and the orange / white (pin 1) is connected to pin 44, tan / yellow (pin3) to pin to pin 33, and the dark / light blue (center pin 2 connector) to pin 43 on PCM.
Continuity is only a part of the story. Resistance on the circuit, continuity between signal and return, stray voltage from another wire are just a few of the other possibilities.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Default wondering...

I am having a smiilar problem. was sitting at a stoplight and my 06 cruiser just died. The check engine light flashed and it died. still had power, tried starting acted like it wanted to start, but wont. Changed the spark plugs, and Cam shaft sensor. Still wont start. What about this cam magnet. How would you check this?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Go check your timing marks. With everything in time, your crank gear will be almost a half tooth past the mark and the cams will be perfectly in line horizontal to each other. It's very easy to mess it up if it's your first time doing one. This applies to all 2.4 and 2.0 liter engines.
Just a note when doing head work on 2.4 or 2.0.......

The Cam Gears CAN Be put on BACKWARDS....there are marks on the cam gears that must be faced Out for the corresponding engine...2.0 or 2.4. The Timing marks DO NOT land in the same positions, and will definitely cause an "OUT OF SYNC" issue with both PCM and VALVETRAIN.

PjAlmer..... Unfortunately, without more info....You will need to start from the begginning.

EARTH WIND AND FIRE....air spark and fuel....Why does the car not start...Back to basics.....

And Please....Stop throwing parts at it...its a waste of time and money to shoot in the dark, when there is a perfectly logical approach to any automotive problem, that will yield positive results without emptying your wallet first.