Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

No crank/start after head gasket repair

Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Default No crank/start after head gasket repair

We recently replaced the head gasket on a 2002 PT Cruiser. We changed out the head gasket, replaced the water pump, replaced the timing belt and took the head in for a valve job. Upon getting the car back together we are having issues starting the car. When you turn the key to the Start position, the car will begin to crank but will only crank for 1 or 2 seconds then stop even though we are holding the key still for it to crank. I pulled the trouble codes and keep getting -- P0340 No Camshaft Sensor Signals At PCM - P1391 Camshaft or Crankshaft Signal Intermittent Condition - P0725 Engine Speed input Circuit Malfunction. We replaced the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor but still experiencing same issues. After doing this, I bypassed the ASD relay but still doing the same thing, will only crank for a second or 2. I pull the connector on the camshaft sensor and tried to start it with it disconnected and the issue continued. Once I pulled the connector for the crankshaft, and tried to start it like that, the engine then would continue cranking as long as I have the key turned. Thinking maybe the crankshaft sensor was defective, I replaced it again but still having the same issue. I then tested the voltage and ground on the crankshaft sensor connector and we were pulling intermittent 5 volts when cranking, ground is good. and 12 volts on the other line. We are pulling our hair out on this one. Can anyone shed any light on this? Why would it stop cranking with the crankshaft sensor plugged in after a couple of seconds, but continue cranking with it disconnected (won't start of course). Should I try to replace the engine speed sensor? Maybe an issue with the PCM at this point? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

IM gonna say the timing is off

Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Well after many days of reading through forums we finally figured out the issue. On another forum someone mentioned that the connector to the coil box and camshaft sensor is exactly the same and in the same general location so it's easy to mix up and sure enough that was the issue. swapped the connectors and fired right up! Why would they put the same type of connector do close together???? Oh well it's finally fixed.